Hurst parts WTB

If anyone has an OLD Hurst Competition/Plus installation kit, p/n

373-4734, or a 1-2 shift rod, p/n 213-2138, I could sure use it. I've purchased two kits from Jeg's for my '55 coupe and the 1-2 shift rod that is coming with the new production kits DOES NOT WORK. Worse, heating and bending the Hurst shift rods doesn't work either; the metal cracks when attempting to straighten out the old bends, even after being heated cherry red. I currently have a stock "suggestion lever" installed, but I dream of precise shifting. see below for details... if you have what I need let me know your price.

Also, if anyone has any tips for fabricating a replacement shift rod, let me hear your ideas.

thanks,

nate

Reply to
N8N

Don't you just love it when they say that?? Of course, it can't be THEIR mistake, it must be (pick one): The stupid consumer doesn't know how to install it........or The stupid consumer doesn't know how to read our excellent instructions......or It really does work right, but the consumer is so stupid he doesn't realize it.....or, my personal favorite: We have never seen that problem before, but we have a kit you can buy for $28 more dollars to correct that.

Paul

Reply to
R1Lark

Reply to
John Poulos

haven't gotten a response yet, was at job sites all day & no response to the email I sent on Sat...

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
N8N

I'm sorry to hear all this Nate. I recently called the Hurst tech line and the guy was EXTREMELY helpful and went WAY out of his way to help me get the part I needed. The twenty five year old (and long out of production) cable for the Hurst automatic floor shifter in my old 64 Chevy truck with a turbo 400 broke and I couldn't find one listed on any vendors sites. The tech guy not only researched it and came up with a number he thought would work, he also found out who amongst the vendors had one and I got it from Jeg's in two days. I was so happy I sent the company a thank you note. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

N8N

Sorry torch bending did not work. Have you tried reddy rod yet. I have used some of the hardened stuff with good success.

Reply to
Studebaker Kid

never heard of it, where do you buy this stuff? if I could just find some 3/8" steel rod that I could a) bend easily b) weld a washer onto the end that works the shift fork and c) thread with a die on the other end I would theoretically be good to go.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I don't know if this will help or not but I used a Hurst kit for a Muncie 4 speed on the T10 I put in my 53 coupe. I had it and was too cheap to spring for the correct one . With your problem I am probably lucky I did not get the correct one. It did take a little bending but not much. If I remember right I only had to bend one rod. I don't remember which one.

Reply to
Jerry Kaiser

It might, do you happen to remember what application your install kit was purchased for? Hurst does actually have some pretty good online docs.

thanks,

nate

Jerry Kaiser wrote:

Reply to
N8N

Nate, Where is the part # stamped on the shift rods? I got Thumper up in air and I could look and see what I have on the 1-2 rod.

Dustybob

Reply to
Dustybob

see my original post (scroll down to the bottom) unfortunately the "old" (works) and "new" (doesn't) rods appear to have the same part number.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Nate;

What is your shift pattern, meaning where is reverse located ? What transmission are you using , 61 T-10 or 62 and later ? When all else fails , try linkage from a Chevy or Dodge to get the right one. You may have to change the arm on the transmission to get clearance. Are you using hurst shift arms or stock arms ? I have some old linkage that I will try to find, still attached to a hurst shifter, somewhere. John

Reply to
leton

it's out of a '62 GT, reverse is left and forward. I'm using everything that came with the Hurst kit listed for that application. I don't think I need any assistance right now; I have a couple people already looking for the part I need that think they probably have it, but thanks for the offer. If you do happen to stumble across an old Hurst for a Stude let me know though, I might want it anyway.

nate

Reply to
N8N