OT OcrappyOne got hit.

Some of you may know OcrappyOne got he new HHR last Saturday. Yesterday she was driving down the street and a golf ball came flying out of the air, hit the hood, bounced into the windshield and then on down the street. It put a big dent in the hood but didn't crack the windscreen. She was hard to live with last night, boy, she sure is pissed off at the world.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Reminds me when I got the only rock chip on my new truck. Had it two days and on the second day I was going to lunch with some guys from work and got behind a dump truck and a rock got picked up by the tire and slammed into the A-pillar on the driver's side. Took out a chunk of paint about the diameter of a pencil eraser.

Lee

***
Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Jerry, I had nearly the same thing happen except it was the side of the car. I took it to a local Dent Busters and $90 later the dent was totally gone. That was two years ago and still no sign of where that dent was. MikeW

Mike Williams

You have my sympathy Jerry! Keep yer tail down!

MY eyes arent BROWN

Reply to
Mertz Racing

Damn Jerry, that SUCKS!!!

Glad the damage was minor and that no one was hurt. Try you local paintless dent removal guys to see if they can make it like new agian. Last time I used one was on Debbie's Cherokee. I 'borrowed' it one weekend about 2 weeks after she bought it and the rear quarter got it in a parking lot. In 15 minutes or so, the dent was gone and I never could find where it used to be.

Reply to
Lee

It seems that sort of thing must be the norm. Every new vehicle I have owned has been "anointed" early on. Second day when I was driving my brand new '64 Daytona Wagonaire away from the plant at Hamilton, I got behind a lowboy carrying a bulldozer. A big chunk of dirt dropped off the trailer and bounced into my windshield leaving me a star. Speaking of being pissed. Strangely. it never got worse and it is still there. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Ha! With all the damn hail storms, all the paintless dent guys are chasing the storms! and most of them are in Indianapolis after the "Good Friday" hail storm! Somebody ticked off the Big Guy! And I agree with Mike, they do a great job on a lot of the stuff, some of the cars we've had at the shop are beat to death! BTW Jerry, drive on up here and I'll have that dent fixed for you for nothing! They "owe" me a favor!

Jim Turner

Reply to
Jim Turner

I only had ONE brand new car in my life.. a 1985 Plymouth Reliant.

dad drove me to go pick it up, I signed the papers, showed salesman my insurance card, and he gave me the keys.

first thing I did was take the key, and put a BIG scratch in the inside door jam, where it only showed if the door was open

my dad was screaming "WHY DID YOU DO THAT???"

hey, first scratch, now whatever happens to it, won't bother me

that was July 31, 1985.

the month of August 1985, Louisiana got hit by three small hurricanes..... one of them dropped something on the trunk lid, and left a big scratch, and a quarter sized dent..... car still had temporary paper plates....

didn't faze me.

Reply to
markansas859
.

In the early fall of '64 I did the same to my next door neighbor's brand new Ambassador wagon; not because it was a Rambler, but because I wanted to see if the wood strip on the side was "real". Instead of a key, I used a piece of spring steel from a toy gun that long since broke apart, and made about a 1/4" long scratch on the drivers door. (It may seem foolish as can be now, but back in '64, there were still a fair number of post-war Ford wagons on the road that were starting to rot along the bottom, and you could buy an Austin Mini Traveller with real wood trim brand new, not to mention, the Beach Boys, Jan & Dean wear singing about their Woody's on the radio back then, so it was not with malice I performed my destructive testing). I recall it cost my dad something like $36.00 to replace the wood trim on the ENTIRE SIDE because of a 1/4" scratch! I definitely got "the lecture" about destructive tesing vs. non-destructive testing vs. simply asking, but I think he was more pissed off that the entire trim from front to rear had to be replaced so the grain matched over just replacing the piece on the drivers door only.

Craig.

Reply to
studebaker8

Reminds me of a couple three years ago.... We were at the driving range part of the local public golf course awaiting our tee time... I hit a ball that went way, WAY off to the right....and right out onto Route 40...a six lane road at that point. We all watched that ball intently to see if there was going to be a huge wreck (which there wasn't, thank goodness)... But the ball did hit the front chrome bumper on a truck and that danged golf ball came right back at the four of us faster than it left the tee. We all scattered and ducked... I still hear about that from my friends once and a while... Jeff

Reply to
DEEPNHOCK

If you paid for it to be replaced, you own the old one. If the guy didn't give it to you, figure out a fair rent for it and sue him for it!

Karl

snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca wrote:

Reply to
midlant

My 'destructive testing' experiment revealed it was indeed 'Di-Noc', not real wood. Therefore it probably had a 1964 value of 20 cents a foot for a 4" wide roll of it, so times that by 20' or so. The cost would mostly be in the labor for removing the two strips of chrome that separated the paint line from the fake wood top and bottom, using a heat gun to peel off the 'old' stuff, and reapplying 'new' stuff.

I've personally never seen a market for 'previously applied' Di-noc wood trim, especially with no peel-off backing on it, so it would have been slim to none to collect any 'rent' from it!!

Craig.

Reply to
studebaker8

I remember hearing a story from a friend who never missed the Englishtown swap for many years. A couple of young, loud drunks were speeding around the place or parking area, and the passenger threw his beer bottle at a light pole which they were passing at a high rate of speed. The bottle hit the pole at great force, but did not break. It bounced back & hit the guy in the forehead and broke, causing a very bloody mess. The guy had it coming.

-- Barry'd in Studes

58 Packard Hawk 40 President 39 Coupe Exp. 59 DeLuxe 1/2 tn. 56 Packard "400"
Reply to
Barry