RPMs fluctuating at startup '95 Legacy Outback 2.2L

I just replaced the starter on my 95 Legacy Outback 2.2L. The solenoid on the old one was on its way out (requiring a stiff tap for startup). Since then the engine starts fine, but immediately after starting the rpms bounce a couple times before leveling out. This only seems to occur at startup and not when I'm idling at a light, etc.

I did disconnect the battery to replace the starter, but I don't recall this happening after disconnecting the battery on previous occasions.

Any ideas on the cause or things I might check?

Thanks.

Reply to
fishlegs

Any vacuum lines get bumped during the replacement process?

Reply to
Brian

How long has this been occuring? Is the check engine light on?

Just wondering if the ECU is trying to re-learn some adjustments.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I don't think I ran into any vacuum lines; but I'll go over them again.

This has been going on for about 4 days, during which, I've probably put around 75 miles on it at varying speeds.

Reply to
fishlegs

Hmmm, was there a ground wire that could have been compromised somewhere? Definitely double-check the integrity of battery and other cables and their connections.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
fishlegs

You could always 'test' the theory by clearing the ECU and see if the behavior returns. It might be nice to try to get a 'freeze frame' or some other readings from the ECU ,just to see if it has had to make radical fuel trim adjustments or ???

anyway, good chance it's OK for a while now.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan