key stuck in ignition 200 maxima

I am having trouble with my key it does not come out of the ignition. I had a released the shift lock button also thinking that would help get out my key?? does any one know why my key will not come out? I also read some else's email saying that it could be a chip of some kind??

Reply to
Rick

maybe the tumblers are "gummy" and is holding the key,

you might squirt a little wd-40 through the red tube - into the keyway around the key, jiggle the key, pull outward, might help.

are all the devices in the right mode - to allow for removal of the key?

Reply to
fiveiron

yes, everything else seems ok?? but the wd-40 was my first thing I had tried.just to recap you really quick this is what happen to me. My key was stuck in the ignition. The first problem I was having was the key would not turn over. So then I had a lock smith guy come out and fix the ignition. He got it to turn over but when I got home that night the key just would not come out....it is still stuck in the ignition. Some times the key will come out only if I push the shifter really hard or step on the break really hard. Also before the locksmith had gotten there that night I also had released the shift lock button on the shifter. can you please help me? do you think it could be a chip of some klind?

Reply to
Rick

it use to be where you could take a paper clip affair an stick it in the key/lock

cylinder side hole, and remove it, replace it with a new one at a reasonable cost,

does this condition still exist.?

tumblers in the cylinder go crazy with wear, that might be the problem.

Reply to
fiveiron

I am going to check and see if it has the hole?? worse comes to worse I just might have to take it to the dealer or some one who works on nissans.

Reply to
Rick

Check to make sure you steering wheels are not turned too far in one direction - if so you'll need to turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction to remove!!! Also assuming is an automatic trans! check to make sure that you shifter is not binding - this may also cause a stuck ignition key issue

Reply to
Backbone

Worn ignition lock cylinder.

Push in on the cylinder while pulling the key out. If that works, you'll know you need a new one.

Reply to
no_name