Pinging Jeep

looking for ideas on why our 98 Jeep Grand with a 4 liter pings with regular gas when pulling our 19 foot camper. When I put premium in it does ok , but I thought the Knock sensor would adjust timing to run on any fuel. Is my Knock sensor bad ? I've got no check engine lights . Runs perfect in every other way . Thanks Runk....

Reply to
Runk

The easiest way to check a knock sensor is to knock on the engine ... tap it with a small hammer to see if the idle speed drops. If it doesn't, either your knock sensor is bad or you don't have one. I don't know if this vehicle has one or not.

Reply to
Walter

I believe Chrysler did away with the knock sensor on the 4.0 engine back in 92 or so. The guys that make 4.7 strokers out of them go for the older ones mainly to get the knock sensor feature. I could be off on the year they dropped it, but I still don't think you have one.

That said, even 'with' the knock sensor, my owners manuals state high octane gas may be needed if running hot, hard or fully loaded. It also stated if the ping does not stop with high test, to lessen the load.

Mike

Runk wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain