Toyota - no start -turns over - got gas- got power

The car stopped running last night. I just slowly stopped while I was driving. So when I turn the ignition it will turn over but not start. Any ideas?

Reply to
carcrazy42

An engine needs air and fuel in proper proportions and a means of igniting the air-fuel mixture at the appropriate time to run. Your Toyota has a problem with either the air, fuel, ignition, ignition timing, or valve timing.

If you would like to narrow down the possibilities, it would be helpful if you provided more information, like:

1) model year 2) model 3) engine 4) current odometer reading 5) maintenance history including what was done and where 6) how long the engine was running when it stopped; 7) whether the engine has been making any unusual noises lately 8) when you crank the engine, does it turn over faster than normal?
Reply to
Ray O
1) model year 1987 2) model Toyota 3) engine 4 cyl manual transmission 4) current odometer reading 165000 5) maintenance history including what was done and where regualr oil changes, but nothing has been done recently 6) how long the engine was running when it stopped; 5 minutes 7) whether the engine has been making any unusual noises lately No unusual noises 8) when you crank the engine, does it turn over faster than normal? It cranks at a normal speed. Thx for your help.
Reply to
carcrazy42

OK, we're getting a little closer, although you did not answer some of the questions.

Your answer to 2) model is Toyota. Toyota is the automaker, not the model. What kind of Toyota is it? For example, is it a Tercel, Corolla, Camry, etc.

Your answer to 3) engine - 4 cylinder - is that a gasoline or a diesel engine? It the engine carbureted or fuel injected?

Your answer to 4) current odometer reading is 165,000 - is that miles or kilometers?

Your answer to 5) maintenance history including what was done and where - I was asking about the complete maintenance history and where it was performed.

I have a few more questions

If the engine has a timing belt, when was the last time it was replaced?

Assuming it is a gasoline engine, are you getting spark?

Reply to
Ray O

OK, we're getting a little closer, although you did not answer some of the

questions.

Your answer to 2) model is Toyota. Toyota is the automaker, not the model. What kind of Toyota is it? For example, is it a Tercel, Corolla, Camry, etc.

Your answer to 3) engine - 4 cylinder - is that a gasoline or a diesel engine? It the engine carbureted or fuel injected? gas, carbureted

Your answer to 4) current odometer reading is 165,000 - is that miles or kilometers? 165000 miles

Your answer to 5) maintenance history including what was done and where - I was asking about the complete maintenance history and where it was performed. I don't have any maintenance history.

I have a few more questions

If the engine has a timing belt, when was the last time it was replaced? The timing belt has not been replaced.

Assuming it is a gasoline engine, are you getting spark? -- Getting a spark? Additional info: I took the distributor cap off and tried to start the car. The mechanism in the distributor cap did not move while the car was being started.

Reply to
carcrazy42

If the distributor shaft is not turning, then the most likely reason is that the timing belt is broken. The engine will not run with a broken timing belt. Since the timing belt has not been replaced, then a broken timing belt is the most likely reason that the engine will not run. Timing belts should be changed every 60,000 to 90,000 miles.

If you are going to have the timing belt replaced, you may also wish to have the idler pulley, water pump, and accessory drive belts replaced as a preventative measure.

Reply to
Ray O

Can you remove a spark plug and see if it sparks when you hold its body against bare metal on the engine or frame and crank the engine? If not, try spraying something flammable, like choke cleaner, into the air intake while cranking the engine (leave the air filter and cover in place, in case the engine spits). If the engine cranks exactly as before, there's probably no spark. But if it starts or speeds up even briefly, then you likely have no fuel getting into the engine because of a bad fuel pump (strong gasoline smell) or fuel cut solenoid. That solenoid (there may be two, one for each carb barrel) should click if you disconnect its cable and apply 12V to its leads (there may be only one lead, for 12V).

My Corolla quit running because the rubber o-ring for one of the fuel cut solenoids disintegrated and somehow got lodged in the float valve, something that couldn't have happened if I had used a Toyota brand carb rebuild kit because its float falve has a filter screen to keep junk out of it.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

The car isn't worth much. The cost of having a shop work on this would just be too much. We've asked a few people about this and it seems like generally the answer is the timing belt. My son's going to give it a shot at replacing the timing belt. He's not a trained mechanic but has worked on his own cars. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thx.

Reply to
carcrazy42

The OP mentioned that the distributor rotor does not turn when cranking the engine. Assuming that the distributor shaft or drive gear did not snap, then the camshaft is not turning, and if the camshaft is not turning, and the timing belt has not been changed in 160,000 miles, the first thing I would take a look at is the timing belt.

Reply to
Ray O

You never mentioned what kind of Toyota it is, but your son may wish to invest in a Chilton's manual or Haynes manual at your local auto parts store or book store. It will help if he does not have experience with timing belts.

Reply to
Ray O

It's a corolla, I listed that in one of the prior posts. He's got the manual. We're loosening belts and bolts per the manual. And getting ready to loosen the engine so we can get to the time belt covers. Wish us luck! Any tips are appreciated!

Reply to
carcrazy42

A Corolla is one of the easier timing belt jobs.

If you have not already purchased the parts, you may wish to get a timing belt tensioner and replace that while you're in there. I don't remember if the water pump is driven by the timing belt in that car and is under the timing belt cover, but if it is, you may wish to change the water pump as well. That way, everything that may cause problems in the general vicinity of the timing belt will be new.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Update! We've loosening bolts and got part of the timing belt cover off just enough to see that the timing belt is in there and in one piece. Looks a little worn but definitely not broke.

Reply to
carcrazy42

So the belt actually moves when you crank the engine? I've had prefectly good looking belts with stripped teeth where it engaged the crankshaft.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger

Make sure the ignition is off, disconnect the coil from the distributor, and using the crankshaft pulley bolt, turn the engine clock-wise. The belt should turn the camshaft pulley and the camshaft pulley should rotate. If it does not, the belt is bad.

Reply to
Ray O

Some teeth are missing. When cranking the engine, the belt doesn't move.

Reply to
carcrazy42

You looking for advice or just bragging? If the former, model, year and engine would be helpful.

If your "belt doesn't move," and I'm assuming you mean the accessory drive belts, either the starter is not turning the flywheel / flex plate - and missing teeth would cause that, or you have serious internal engine damage e.g. broken crankshaft.

Replace the starter and/or ring gear, or replace the engine.

-- Mike Harris Austin TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

With the cover loose, and your fingers out of the way, spin the engine (crank it over)

My belt looked fine, too...but the teeth had broken off at the bottom gear!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Reply to
Ray O

Assuming you are talking about teeth missing on the timing belt and not on the crankshaft or camshaft pulley, you need a new timing belt.

Reply to
Ray O