Silencer ( Muffler) warranty ?

I have had my 1995 2.2 litre 4 Cyl Auto now near 12 years from new. I am still on the original silencer. Unbelievable.

89.000 miles just came up.

But what was the warranty on these silencers anyway.

Just wondered

Cheers

Johnny UK

Reply to
JM

== They're fabricated of stainless steel. I'm at 164,000 miles - still fine (mild So. California climate though)

Reply to
Daniel

WOW that's unbelievable.

I am in North East UK.

No sun to talk of. Plenty wet and damp of late. But thanks for the encouraging news anyway

Johnny UK

Reply to
JM

I don't know about the UK.

In the US, when the original one wears out, you pay for the next one. But, it comes with a Lifetime Warranty, for as long as you own the car.

They are losing money on my Mom...she's one of those that goes to the grocery once a week and occasionally to the library, both trips of less than 2 miles. The exhaust never gets warm enough to eliminate the moisture.

She's on her third replacement and getting ready for #4 (1986 Camry w/86,000 miles...)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Don't know about warranty, because didn't need it up to now (427000 km).

Reply to
jan siepelstad

I think this is typical for this model. I was given an '85, by an old couple who hadn't been using it much. I noticed in the maintenance records they gave me (since new) that the exhaust components had been replaced. The muffler was about a year old. the pipe connecting the manifold to the converter, with the flex braid, was shot and had to be replaced.

To my surprise, the muffler disintegrated within several months and I had to replace it. Next, the intermediate pipe went and I replaced that. About a year later, I had to replace the muffler again. Then, this spring, when I was almost ready to "retire" the Camry, the converter broke at the rear flange and had to be replaced *sob*.

I had the car five years, put 15K miles on it. I have an "old lady" driving pattern- I drive it 1 mile to work, and 1 mile back. Maybe to the grocery store or a concert. I thought this was what killed the exhaust. HOWEVER- I drove this car 3 times to Columbia, SC non-stop (OK, I stopped for gas and, well, you know) and once had applied some "muffler fix" (the plastic tape and bailing wire kit-Yeah, I know, I know) which was supposed to melt and seal the exhaust. I got down to SC and-guess what?- the stuff still hadn't melted. I don't think the exhaust gets very hot.

That's my story.

Anybody out there need a parts Camry?

Reply to
Plague Boy

Hi 86, it was explained to me that the lifetime muffler deal applies to the muffler only and typically the pipes are very cheaply made. One has to replace those components frequently and pay for the parts and labor on the work. The muffler however, will last for many years. Does this seem to be the situation with you Mom? The idea, of course, is to get repeat business. That's also the reason to sell a battery that has a 3 year average lifespan with a 4 or 5 years warranty. Well that's what I was told anyway. :-)

david

Reply to
dsi1