RAV4--no more manual transmissions?

Barry has already done a great job of answering that, so I won't repeat what he said.

I guess you missed the part where I said that I learned to drive on an automatic, and drove automatics almost exclusively for the first 10 years or so. I didn't learn on a stick--that was a CHOICE I made later on. And I'll say, again, that if you actually knew how to use a manual transmission to your advantage, you wouldn't be here bashing them.

Reply to
End.of.an.Error.012009

I suggest they are speaking of personal preference.

I actually prefer a manual transmission, but I only have one manual transmission-equipped car in my inventory right now. My preference has more to do with what I like than control -- I do not drive in such a manner where control is an issue. Well, control that comes from matching ground speed to engine speed ...

I would suggest you are talking out of your ass.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

... she said while shaving her moustasche ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

No need to duck--it made me laugh, too, so it's cool. :) Besides, I'm used to being told that I have balls, so I guess a mustache isn't that much of a stretch. :O

Reply to
End.of.an.Error.012009

I started out with a Toyota truck--a 4-speed stick that I bought new in

1985 and drove for 14 blissfully trouble-free years. But I finally parted with it and bought the first of my three RAV4s when my latest pets--two Great Dane puppies--QUICKLY outgrew the front seat. Although I only have one of them left (unfortunately, Danes die young), a truck simply won't do, as I would NEVER let a dog ride in the bed of a truck, and the seats just don't work well for us. He needs the room the back of the RAV4 (or similar!) gives when the back seats are folded up. I like the RAV4 because although it is an SUV, its size is small enough that it's still very fuel-efficient, yet it gives me the interior room I need.
Reply to
End.of.an.Error.012009

It would appear that you have one point of view and can not accept that others may have a different point of view. I have both automatics and standards. I enjoy both for different reasons. One is a bit more costly on fuel and the other is a bit more forgiving in the winters of new hampshire. One is easier to drive in the christly city traffic, and one is more fun out in the country.

Reply to
Frank

I can safely say that I have far more control in all of my standard vehicles then in my automatic ones. This is after learning to drive on an automatic first then changing to driving a standard. If you ever drove extensively in slippery or offroad conditions you would understand. After driving professionally for a couple of years I can say that I won't be buying anymore automatics in the near future.

Reply to
Toshi38

Yawn. All you manual tranny people are going the way of the dinosaur. Happy days! Less congestion for the rest of us on the road.

"End.of.an.Error.012009" wrote >> Please define that overused word "control" Can you not "control"

Reply to
Fuller Wrath

Of course you can safely say it since you don't have to quantify or prove your claim. Why is it the people who claim this superior control are always the ones I see spinning wheels and burning up their clutches?

Yawn.

Waiting for the next round of superfluous hyperbole.

Reply to
Fuller Wrath

The question of manual tranny vs. automatic will never be resolved.

More importantly, is it Ginger, or MaryAnn ???

Reply to
Hober Mallow

Either, as long as it's not Mrs. Howell.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I learned to drive in a stick shift and I am only 19. And I will not have it any other way.

Reply to
Jamie Mello