Looking for an original stereo?

Does anyone have one of these for a 1963 bug. Just the am/fm push button one. Anyone know where I could find one?

Reply to
JOSEPH HAMILTON

"JOSEPH HAMILTON" skrev i melding news:C2QMd.466$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr24.news.prodigy.net... Does anyone have one of these for a 1963 bug. Just the am/fm push button one. Anyone know where I could find one?

Reply to
P.J.Berg

I know there are Blaupukt radios that came with stereo but they were much later, say early '70s. There were AM/Fm ones but not sure if they went back to '63.

--Dan E

Reply to
Braukuche

1962 Sapphire II AM/FM

Bendix 2FMB

earliest of the Bendix AM/FM

There's also a couple of early Blaupunkt Frankfurt AM/FM/SW and AM/FM radios at the same site that I got the info about the Sapphire radio:

Check out all the photos! Neat!

Oh, I bought a 1961 Sapphire I AM radio from this chap and it's now in my Bug and working like a charm!

Reply to
Red Bug

Actually that is all I could think of to call it but... I Believe it was a sapphire and it was a radio... am only I think... Not sure. Can anyone help?

Reply to
JOSEPH HAMILTON

I seriously doubt it... they had just gone transistorized a few years before!

Reply to
Red Bug

Hence my question..

Cannot recollect the year "Stereo" hit the automotive units, to be quite honest I'm not even shure when it hit the houshold market...

I have a nice Tube Mono Phillps unit in Felatio, and since the likeliness of it being restored under my ownership is darn close to zero, I would considder letting it go to a serious party.. 6V ofcause, not original speaker I think(Atleast not for the T1, but sounds and works like a champ).

If anyone has a resto project they would like to keep strictly along the timelines, give me a holler, don't bother if you are just looking to make a profit...

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

I'd say quite early... We have a TUBE stereo FM radio (and AM of course) that still works fine.

Just found this on the web:

"Zenith pioneered AM and FM radio broadcasting -- including the invention of the stereo FM radio broadcast system, authorized by the Federal Communications Commission in 1961 and still in use worldwide."

Reply to
Red Bug

I know my 70 bug just had a Sapphire AM only radio. Stereo wouldn't have worked too well with just the one dashboard speaker anyhow.

Did VW use different radios in the same model cars? Were they standard or dealer options?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I would say sealer options since different markets got different radios... Saphire, Phillips and Blaupunkt etc.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Hrmph, sould read "Dealer option"

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Michael Cecil wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

wouldn't

My '70 had a Sapphire AM-FM that worked like $H14. But it wasn't stereo. The PO removed the original speaker from the dash and mounted speakers in holes he had cut in each side wall about half way up from the floor.

Reply to
cloud8

Should read "should"

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

hmmmm maybe your PO was the same PO my 69 had...

and his brother must have not been as creative... single hole hacked in under the dash:

****************************************************************dragenwagen

1966 Type I - Daily Driver
Reply to
dragenwagen

You Win, I loose!

I'll buy you a pint if youre close enough.. :0)

P.J.Berg

closer than them Yanks !

James

Reply to