need transmission fill plug

This may sound rather simple, but I'm having a hard time trying to find a replacement transmission filler plug for my '68 swing axle tranny. This covers the hole where you top off the tranny fluid.

The plug that's in there now is badly damaged. Looks like the PO had a fun time w/ a hammer and punch. The 17mm hex head wrench won't even fit into the plug any more. So I need a new one. I suppose I could use a tranny drain plug, but the filler plug appears to have a vent hole in it (mine actually had a small bolt glued in the vent hole).

Any suggestions where I might be able to buy a new (or used) filler plug for my tranny?

AshMan

Reply to
AshMan

Hi AshMan,

Local junkyard. This is one of the things that can be found there for sure since engines are first to go but transmissions seem to stick around. If you don't have those around and serious let me know I should be able to dig one out around here.

Can anybody confirm whether fill plugs have changed one year to another? or what are the compatibilities are?

Also you might be able to same size bolt instead of original plug...

Anton

AshMan wrote:

Reply to
anton

AFAIK fill plugs should be the same on most aircooled and watercooled manual transmissions............so finding one should be very easy. Now some of the drain plugs might have a magnetic section to them though.

There should be no vent hole in that filler plug. I will assume that the PO tried to punch/drill a hole in that plug in order to try to remove it. Finding a plug is no problem..................trying to remove that damaged one might be a problem though. Definitely try a very good quality 17mm tool to fit inside of the plug!

good luck, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

On the older ACVW's (pre '60?) the plug is slightly different. It needs a box wrench (17mm) in stead of a hex head. And the nut is hollow. I'm not sure if the threat and/or size is the same tho...

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

AshMan kirjoitti:

There is NOT supposed to be a vent hole on either (lol) plug. The only difference is that the drain plug has a magnet embedded into it, to catch metal particles. You can use a drain plug in place of the fill plug no problem.

The transmission is vented through a tiny hole on top of the tranny, near the front end.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

I've got an extra one. Its in perfect condition right down the little "VW" stamp in the middle of the plug. I'll mail it to you if you give me your address, no charge.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Chris

Reply to
halatos

thanks Roger! I knew that someone knew of some different plugs. lol

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

My 66 transaxle is trashed.... so when I get the new one... I will have an extra one. The new one should have plugs in it I hope...lol

dw

Reply to
dragenwagen

Today I had some time and w/ some help from friends w/ tools I was able to get the plug out of the tranny case using an "easy-out" and a punch. The hole I thought was a vent was actually a fill hole the PO had drilled because he couldn't get the plug out!

Using some "epoxy steel" (2-part clay that hardens like steel) I filled the hole and now the plug will fit a 13mm hex head. A little gasketcinch to hold the plug in place and I hand tightened it back in. That is good enough as a temp fix.

I'm emailing Chris offline to see about getting his plug.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

AshMan

Reply to
AshMan