Por-15 paint?

Hello-

I've got a few rusted areas on my 79 convertible's floor pans...not too bad, and not rusted through. I'd like to wire brush it then paint it with a rust-preventative paint, with an eye toward it not progressing any further. A quick google search shows that you guys prefer Por-15 paint for this kind of a job but at nearly $30.00 a pint I'm wondering if there's any real benefit to this product over a garden variety Rust-oleum at $4.00 a pint. I don't mind springing for the extra cash if indeed it's a better product...but short of having first hand experience, it seems kind of expensive for a paint.

Thanks- GaryT

Reply to
GaryT

The difference between POR-15 and Rustoleum is the difference between steel and cotton-candy. Rustoleum is just a name slapped on a better-than-nothing paint. Get a sample of POR-15.

has it, I'm sure. Try it. Don't go and brush therust all away. Wait for it to arrive, read the direction and go to it. Oh, wear gloves.

Reply to
J Stafford

Jiann-Ming Su

My experience: painted a rusty spot on my Subaru's rear rood with black POR15, let it stay like that for 2 years and drove through salty snow and all half of the time.

Today it looks just like it did the day after I painted it. I'm impressed. It totally sealed the rust off and stopped it from spreading.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Don't people use a 3M Product?? Also i hear people use truck bed liner (spray) for underneath the car. What is the 3M stuff? ~peace~Justin

Reply to
Nxqzablesk8er

rust oleum protects but it eventually comes off I've seen the por 15 in use before im impressed and what i understand its very hard to chip even ,so it is on for the long haul and also what i understand is, it was originally formlated to handle north atlantic seas on oil rigs so you kno it has proven it's merit

Reply to
badaztek

thats just undercoating and the big problem with the bed coating is if you coat the wrong thing with it and you need to get at it you will have to blast it off the por 15 you can just brush it on and watch what bolts you put it on or near

Reply to
badaztek

I think one of my brake hoses broke and sprayed my Rustoleum covered inner fenders. While doing the emergency repair, I was amazed how easily that brake fluid took off the Rustoleum.

I have used POR-15 since, on my trailer, on rust spots on my vehicles, etc. PREP THE AREA CORRECTLY!

$4.00 ain't cheap if it don't work and don't protect!!! 8^)

dave

Brake fluid is a very good paint remover, regardless of the quality of the paint.

Reply to
Jiann-Ming Su

I've covered most of the underside of my 60 Bug with it....terrific stuff.

Reply to
Hughie B