Searching for a Hot VW's article

Recent. Last month, I think. They did a conversion on a 67 decklid to make it look like a 67 convertible decklid. I remember reading the article, and I

*think* I bought it, but I can't find it. Can anyone tell me where to find it (or email me a copy?)

Thanks. Jay

Reply to
Jay McGraw

You want one of us to tell you where you left your magazine ? Look on the floor, right side of the toilet.

Randy

RSMEINER

Actually I keep most of them on the left side of the toilet. It's too close to the wall on the other side. :)

I looked there first. I may also just be dumb...I might not have even bought it. My memory isn't what it used to be :)

Jay

Reply to
Jay McGraw

Lol I keep them on the right side. Funny, no matter where in the world you are, ACVW freaks are always ACVW freaks. :D

Ant

RSMEINER wrote in this freaking newsgroup:

Reply to
Ant

I have a rack on the back of the toilet for mine. Keeps em dry in case of any spills. I've seen this done to earlier decklids. You basically need a 70-71 decklid donor/sacrifice. 72 and up started using 4 rows of vents, which works but probably wouldn't look that cool on a early decklid, and certainly wouldn't fool anyone like the other transplant will.

Reply to
Zarana-X

................Jesus H Almighty!............this group is going down the toilet.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

I *think* that was the December, 2003 issue; I'll have to check tomorrow. I did the story with "Dr. Decklid" and it's a very involved, time-consuming process. You have 2 decklids, a '67 and the later '68-'70 2-louvers "donor". Take both hinge plates out. Using a template, cut two identical pieces out of both lids.Spot weld hinge plate back in for rigidity. spot-weld the "donor" pieces in at the top. Remove the hinge plate again, and metal-finish the patch under the hinge plate. Weld the hinge plate in again. On a jig, or "buck", finish stitch-welding the perimeter of the patch. Metal-finish both sides so the "donor" pieces are undetectable.Amazingly enough, he will sell them outright for around $250.00. His website is . His e-mail address is snipped-for-privacy@aol.com. He is also the guy that did the bodywork and paint on my Polar Silver Oval, and is the former bass player for TheTted Nugent band. Very talented man.

Reply to
Kaferdave

I believe I've seen another sample of Sandy's work, a 69 decklid with the louvers running vertically instead of horizontaly. Kinda like 356 louvers. Except that VW never made such a thing, you'd swear it was a factory decklid.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Ok stupid question time, having a bus not a bug, what on earth is a decklid? Or maybe its just called something else in the uk...

Anto.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison

"Antony Hutchison" wrote

The engine cover.

Pictures here, from the link that Kaferdave posted above:

Scott H

The sun breaks through the clouds and all is illuminated.

Many Thanks Anto.

Reply to
Antony Hutchison