WTB: Someone in Mexico who can ship me some parts...

I saw a 2004 Mexican Beetle at a recent VW show and it was absolutely gorgeous. The fella told me it came from the factory with fuel injection. I would like to locate someone in Mexico who knows what they are doing and could send me the complete unit cobbled off from a wrecked bug. All necessary parts such as the brain, mainfolds, all sensors and manifolds, etc. Please email me privately at silent@beatriceneDOTcom and of course, remove the DOT and replace it with an actual "."

Reply to
No Quarter

You can buy the engines as a complete unit brand new, a friend of mine bought one for his 1303 from Beetles UK (across the pond, sorry). The only thing the supplier did was to reprogram the ECU to run on our grade of fuel and in a lowr climate.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars and email on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Someone was grafting a Rabbit CIS system onto a Beetle engine. I am not sure what happened to this project but it sounded interesting. Rabbit CIS parts are probably easier to obtain than air-cooled Beetle FI parts. :-) later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

and they never seemed all that

it would be a problem. I would say not to

the system broke.

The engine is still being used in the Type II's over there. They may not make the Beetle anymore, but the T2 is still going strong :-)

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars and email on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

The fuel injection system on the Beetle is the same as the one used on 88-92 Golf and Jettas...it's Digifant...I have an old FI Beetle engine that I've converted to Digifant....amazing change.....throttle response is more linear, smoother idle, better fuel economy, and quicker response. Because the original Digifant system I took from a 91 Jetta was for a WCVW, I had to reprogram the ECM to use the CHT sensor instead of a Coolant Temp Sensor...as well, it helps to have an oxygen sensor fitted to the engine.

Reply to
Pete Cressman

As all ears perk up!

Hey Pete, Did you reprogram the ECM yourself or send it out? I think I have most of the old FI components to install on an ACVW engine so this IS a BIG possibility for me to do in the future on my 70 Type 1. Probably just one of my crazy ideas! lol

Did you do a write-up on this conversion? thanks and have a safe 4th! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

BTLMEX and they never seemed all that

it would be a problem. I would say not to

the system broke.

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Yes the Brazilian Type 2's are fuel injected, using the same basic components as the Mexican Bug, but without the hydraulic system. However, I heard a rumor that Type 2 production was going to end this July.

that the Brazilian buses have the identical setup

is BTLMEX and they never seemed all that

closing it would be a problem. I would say not

something in the system broke.

Reply to
Peter

Dave:

I reprogrammed the ECM myself. The hardest part was figuring out how Bosch and VW had written the software. Not only rewriting the software,but also flashing it to the ROM on the ECM wasn't easy. I am guessing that the software is write protected when the ECMs are made, so trying to change this system around isn't easy, but it can be done.

Traditional EFI systems use varying information to best tune the engine for it's current operating situation. Digifant has 256 injector duration points, which are influenced by inputs such as engine load, engine temperature, altitude, and so fourth. As I am sure you know, Digifant is very particular about the sensor information that it receives....one bad coolant sensor makes for a week's worth of driveability issues. So getting the ECM to work around a non existent knock sensor, and higher than average input from what was the coolant sensor (now CHT sensor) caused some initial running issues. Also, the distributor needs to be changed to one which supports a hall signal, as this is what Digifant uses to determine the start of injection. You need to use a mass air flow sensor from a Digifant vehicle...the Jetronic MAF will not work.

All in all, with allot of patience and some common sense and ingenuity, it does all come together. I haven't done a write-up on this yet because I don't consider the project done.

Let me know if I can help.

Regards;

Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

As some of this flies OVER my head............I take my hat off to you Pete! I have never burned any ROM chips, but I have seen it done. I will keep this info in my files for possibly future reference. thanks and later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

if you ever want any help with any of this...let me know!

Regards,

Pete

Reply to
Pete Cressman

Well seeings as how I made the original post, I'm still left without anyone in Mexico who would be willing to fetch what I need from a junkyard. I assume they have junkyards in Mexico? :-) It is a good point to keep in mind that if a part failed, it would be hard to get however, I'm sure a junkyard is a good source of replacement parts down there as well. Maybe I just need to go down there and get the stuff myself. If anyone had a bonafide manual or instructions printed that would detail what car to find, what fuel injection parts to pull, etc. I'd be all over that and would do it in a heartbeat...

Erin

Reply to
No Quarter

"No Quarter" wrote

You might find some information at this site:

Scott H