95 Steering Gearbox

Anyone knows how much this sucker weighs? 50lbs? I have to replace the pitman arm. I am assuming this will come out from the bottom front (behind the plastic dirt shield) Here's the part number 360517539 Rock auto Link

Thanks

Reply to
Martin Riddle

If you're replacing just the pitman, Why are you pulling the box? Just put a puller on the pitman arm and pull it off. It's a simple splined shaft with a retainer nut on the end.

Reply to
Steve W.

Is that one where the cross member is in the way?

Just did a 98 yesterday, box had to come off the frame and be moved rearward a few inches...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Yes, the frame is in the way. 4x4, 2 wheel drive you can pull it with out moving the gear box. Did you break the nut before moving the box?

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Could be, Forgot the 4X4 had the frame in the way. OOPS. The 2 wheel you can get to easily.

Hope the OP remembers to break the lock nut free before pulling the box...

Oh and weight wise the box is about 40 pounds, but if your working under it without a good support and trying to wrestle it with your arms, it weighs closer to a ton...

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks, gives me a good idea of what to expect.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

I suspected as much...

No. IR 2131 popped it loose easily.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Well, breaker bar for me. Looks like I can tilt it up with one mounting bolt and get in there from the front of the cross member. It wouldn't budge with a open end wrench as it is. I'll let it soak with some pb blaster and get to it later in the week.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Just an Update. This wasn?t that hard to do. The gearbox must weight no more than 25-30lbs. I didn?t have the universal steering link puller, and nothing I had fit in there. This held me up a bit. Went out Picked up the universal link puller and popped out the pitman and idler arms in no time. I used the tilt method and the Pitman arm nut just came right off with out a hassle. Then rotated the gearbox and pulled the pitman arm. Took a few hours, and got some new tools for the collection ;)

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle