nasty bmw crash

Amazing how the car takes the knocks.. hope the driver was ok !

Reply to
Emma Ward

What the hell was that big berm doing there in the grassy area? The track owners should be at fault for this one.

Reply to
JimmyG

that'll buff right out

Reply to
Rex B

That is there for the stunt team demonstration during the lunch break ;)

The track

Anyone know what track that is? First impression was Lime Rock, but I've never been there, and can't imagine a ramp like that at a US track.

Reply to
Rex B

Track owners? What about the idiot (with the in-car camera) that rammed him from behind, which started the whole mess?

At any pre-race driver's meeting they'll tell you: "When at full speed on the straight, do not ram the car ahead of you. This is not NASCAR."

Reply to
sunderland

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 23:08:02 -0400, "kaptain kaos" waffled on about something:

What a great demonstration of crumple zones and the passenger safety cell in action.

I wonder where the engine landed... :-/

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:31:06 -0500, Rex B waffled on about something:

I would guess that the "ramp" is actually the side of a drainage ditch... Still, not the most sensible place to put one!

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

Actually, I think there was a service road or something there.

Reply to
Rex B

Well, true, but when you are in a spec class, running in a bunch down a straight, that's about as hair-raising as anything I've done. You are watching the guy in front of your bumper, and through his glass, the guy in front of him. While watching the track, and keeping tabs on the cars either side of you, and watching the tach, shifting. You are also looking for a dip of the head, hand movement etc to indicate who is going for the brakes first. If it's the guy in front of you, and you don't know him well enough to spot the signs, or otherwise know when he will brake for that turn, you are probably going to tap him or worse. Those are expensive cars in that video, in a very competitive series. I doubt an amateur would be there.

Reply to
Rex B

According to Zone Alarm, this is a 'spyware site' so I didn't go there.

Reply to
John Hudson

kaptain kaos

That berm is a new addition to Mid Ohio, this year. Early in the year, they added two sections of track that allow them to run the main course, minus the key hole, and run the key hole as a seperate track.

The berm is to prevent someone skidding off one track, into the other.

Prior to this modification, done just a few months ago, Joey could have gathered up the car and kept going straight, bypassing the kink and re-entering the track a couple of hundred metres down the back straight.

I'm sure the track modifications seemed like a good idea at the time....

Brett Anderson KMS - Koala Motorsport

Reply to
KMS - Brett Anderson