Help Identifying Chevy Small Block

Hi,

I have posted here on a couple of occasions regarding a '73 Camaro I am restoring. Recently, the starter nose cone broke off, and while replacing it I requested a starter for a 307, which is the correct engine according to the VIN.

When the guys in the parts department handed me the starter, I inspected it visually and noticed that the bolt pattern was different than the starter that I had removed. The starter installed on the car had the 350 starter bolt pattern. To be sure, I crawled back under the car, and sure enough the bolt pattern there was a 350 also. The bolts were also equal length as opposed to the different length 307 starter bolts.

Next, when I replaced the alternator, the alternator that was taken off the car was a model for '72 and earlier; the plug was for two vertical males, as opposed to two horizontal plugs which was standard on the '73 models.

I went back and crawled under and over the car looking for casting numbers. I looked at the pad behind the alternator, but found no markings. I also looked on the block near the oil filter but saw nothing.

I'm confused, but not about to tear the heads off to measure the bore and stroke. Can someone advise me of a different location that the casting numbers might be found? Has anyone ever seen a 350 starter on a

307 block? Any advice?

Thanks, TJ

Reply to
tio33035

The starter fits the flywheel or flexplate which can be 2 different sizes. 156 or 162 teeth I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong please. So get the same starter that you are replacing.

This could be around the change over from internally regulated and externally regulated alternators. Ok, looking through "Chevrolet By The Numbers" I came up with the following...

1973 CAMARO MODELS UTILIZING 1972 EXTERNAL VOLTAGE REGULATOR

Some 1973 Camaro models were built using the 1972 type Delcotron and external voltage regulator. The wiring harness was modified by the addition of a jumper harness necessary to adapt the 1972 system in a

1973 model. All Camaro models built after Feb. 1973 until the end of production may have the previously outlined system. Vehicles commencing with the serial numbers listed below are affected.

V-8 Engine N146488 L-6 Engine N154788

1972 diagnostic and service procedures should be used on subject vehicles.

End Quote

If you have enough room you may be able to see the block casting number which is located on the drivers side rear of the block where it mates to the transmission. This is just a casting number and the block may have been used for different displacement engines. Good luck in your search.

...Ron

--

68'RS Camaro 88'Formula 00'GT Mustang
Reply to