89 chevy k1500 starting hard

The last few days my truck has been starting hard and sometimes the starter is very noisy (almost sounds like teeth clashing). I put a brand new starter on it in the summer. Surely, it couldnt be worn out already could it?

-M

Reply to
thirdeye

Define "brand new" ?

Reply to
Meat Plow

New/rebuilt whatever, I bought it at an auto parts store. Also, it doesnt seem to be doing this all the time (maybe once out of 5 vehicle starts)

Reply to
thirdeye

New rebuilt what ever is like saying a rolls royce and a yugo are the same. However since this is not an every time occurrence I would pull the dust cover off the bell housing and using a ratchet and socket on the crank pulley turn the engine over in increments so I could inspect all the teeth on the fly wheel. You may have a worn area on the flywheel.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

No it's not new/rebuilt/whatever. There is a VAST difference. My guess is you got a cheapo rebuilt and it's putzed out already.

Reply to
Meat Plow

hey,

I got underneath and looked and it turns out the bolts backed off! TIghtened them up, and it starts like a dream now. The roads have been brutal up here this winter so Im guessing that all that thrashing around is what caused them to back off.

-M

Reply to
thirdeye

Well that would splain it. Does help to get the enough/correct torque on them bolts though.

Reply to
Meat Plow