2.7 overfilled with oil, what damage would be caused

I own a 99 Intrepid 2.7 with about 82K on it. The timing chain was making noise so I had it towed to Elmwood Dodge in East Providence RI. A new timing chain, water pump, belts were installed for 1300 dollars. I picked up the car and after about 300 miles started to get a noise in the motor, the oil light would come on at an idle and the car started running rough at an idle. I checked the oil and it appears to have been "Double filled" being 5 quarts over. I had it towed back to the dealer and was told the noise is a piston noise. They assumed responsibility for the overfill of oil and are stating that would not lead to piston damage. Is this true?

Reply to
Ed Varin

No matter what you read here get a receipt from the dealer acknowledging the screw up.

Reply to
Art

Probably won't damage the pistons, but might well have damaged the main and rod bearings and possibly the cam(s) as well. Aerated oil doesn't pump very well and doesn't lubricate very well.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

And ask for an extended warranty on the engine.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Normally the crank shaft is above the oil line in the sump. When the engine is this overfilled the crankshaft becomes partially submerged in the oil and whips it in to a froth as the engine spins. Kind of like beating egg whites to get meringue if you have ever done that or seen your wife do it.

When the oil gets in to a froth like this the oil pump can't pump it and you get the low oil light and engine damage. There could be other things going on here, but from the information we have I would definitely be telling the dealer to fix this engine. Not checking the oil before it left the shop is pure negligence on their part.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I can't believe the things I read in here sometimes. The idiots that they let work on cars boggles the mind. This is the reason I change my own oil! And do most of the maintenance on my vehicles myself. A few posts up I was reading about a dealership that striped the threads on someone's aluminum oil pan and wants him to pay to replace it.

Yes, it can cause piston damage. Aerated oil is NOT a sufficient lubricant in an internal combustion engine.

Reply to
Jason

It is good that you realize this. Anybody can type anything and some people will take it as gosple.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Such as your post. He wasn't referring to the quality (or lack therof) of posts here, but of what gets inflicted on car owners by dealers.

Bill Putney

And that is what I was referring to. If dealers were really as bad as most everybody here lets on, I'm sure most of them wouldn't be in business long. I'm not saying that a share of stupid mistakes haven't been made, and not made right after, but dealers can't be as bad as this group collectively lets on.

There was a post somewhere recently about a service manager "finally" telling the truth about something. Does this make sense?? Do you really think a manager wants to lie to customers, piss them all off so they go somewhere else to spend their money? Most managers that I have dealt with will do most anything to satisfy the customer so they will come back the next time. Maybe I just live in a small town where things are different. We all buy groceries in the same store, kids mostly goes to the same schools and talk together at the Friday night ball games.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

It's always amusing in a sad sort of way when some schlemiel like Denny here attempts to use what theoretically should/must/mustn't be the case as an argument against what actually, really *is* the case.

To anyone who's ever experienced a dealer service department? You betchya.

Perhaps you do.

Or maybe you live in 1963 and just aren't telling us.

-Stern

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

No more amusing than a consumer that has a bad experience with a product or service and suddenly the vendor is a crook. I personally have never had a problem with my Chrysler dealers here in Virginia or in New York. Now of corse your statements are not your biased theory and are strictly based on mounds of data and statistical analysis. You know...like how Chrysler sells millions of vehicles, 71% of American housholds own a computer and 93% of them use the internet (from U.S. census) yet there is only a handful of complaints (comparitively speaking) about there product.

While I do much of my own work, due to time constraints I also have occasion to visit the Service Center at my local dealer. I have yet to have what I would consider a problem. The one time I did mention an issue to the service manager (greasy hand prints on fender after have under-hood repair done) I was offered a certificate for a free detailing. I by the way declined as it was only my intent to have him perhaps mention to a (possibly new hire) that they should be more careful.

Or perhaps some just don't pop the cork on the "whine" as easily others.

Reply to
PC Medic

Thanks Dan. I thought I could get a conversation but I see that I'm already a "schlemiel", whatever the f*ck that is. How do you like being exposed for what you really are?

I'm guessing that maybe 99% of Americans that own cars/trucks have visited a service dept at least once in their lives. I'm betting that you're wrong that all of them think the service manager lies.

No perhaps, I do.

Nope, I live in the present just like all of us do.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

In another car newsgroup (premium German car) I follow the dealership is constantly subjected to criticism, just about all of which I cannot share. This is mainly from the US participants, though they do seem to make up more than half the correspondents.

I don't doubt that the criticisms voiced are real and usually well-founded, but it is also likely, I believe, that these newsgroups don't represent the 'average'. Many participants are very vocal (ready to express criticism) and many do their own maintenance.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

What's the trouble? Your dictionary in the shop with a persistent stalls-and-won't-restart problem or something?

-Stern

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You're fortunate. The point is that bad dealer service experiences ought to be the exception, rather than the rule. It's reasonable to expect a consistently-good experience, but unfortunately the reality is too often otherwise.

-Stern

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Not at all, I just didn't feel like using any of my time on your drivel. Everyone has an opinion. When opinions can be discussed in a somewhat civil manner ideas can be shared and someone may learn something. That just don't happen when the name calling begins. I'm sure that in your profession, whatever that may be, is 100% full of competent professionals that never make a mistake and when they do they charge someone else to cover it up. Right??

Denny

Reply to
Denny

"Frequency"

I don't know. I just barely existed in '63.....

Denny

Reply to
Denny

I've had excellent experience at Herb Gordon Dodge in Silver Spring, Maryland. They've done 99% of my service work since 1987 and I can't remember a single time where I've had a problem or even had to take a vehicle back for a poor repair job. No grease tracked in on the carpets, etc. either...the vehicles are always clean. They are "5-star" certified...if that makes a difference or not.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Well you should be happy to "learn" then that bad dealer service experiences ARE the exception, NOT the rule. The fact (and reality) is that the a GOOD experience is the norm. It is also a reality that statistically, folks will tell friends about bad consumer experiences 12-15 times more often than they will a good experience. Add to that the many "whiners" out there that have nothing better to do in life than bitch about how their day went and you can see where most of the 'negative' posts in these groups come from.

Reply to
PC Medic

Did Usenet exist in 1963? :-) Sort of reminds me of the movie "Frequency" with Dennis Quaid.

Reply to
James C. Reeves