electrical problems - heater, ac and windows

I have a 1996 Plymouth Voyager minivan.

Since last year I've experienced episodes when the heater / air conditioner refuses to work. When this happens, the power windows fail as well.

I've taken this back to the dealer several times, but have had no luck getting this problem fixed. The first time I took it in, the dealer claimed it was the power windows assembly, and I ended up paying about $350 to have the assemblies on both windows replaced. However, that did not solve the problem.

Another time I was told that the ignition key wasn't making making full contact with the electrical system, and if I "jiggled" the key, the heater / AC would start. No such luck.

Which brings us to today.

As I write this, my van is back at the dealer. They've had it for three business days, and they still can't trace the problem. Furthermore, they tell me that the heater / a.c. worked fine for the past three days, and only today did the problem actually manifest itself in front of them -- Something I find hard to believe because the heater hasn't worked once in the last three weeks.

Anyway, has anyone else had this problem? Meaning that the AC / Heater sometimes refuses to work, and when this happens, the windows crap out as well?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Brandan1

I don't know the vehicle, so I'm taking a risk here, but it seems to me it's a matter of getting the vehicle schematics out and seeing what ground or power path is common to those and only those circuits (either that or a controlling computer is malfunctioning).

Bill Putney

Reply to
mic canic

I had a similar experience when my ignition switch on a 1992 Voyager went bad. It turned out that a small piece had actually broken out in the keyed part (which is sold separately from the switch part). While this was broken, the van wouldn't start because I could not turn the key to the start position, only to the run position. During the day or two until I replaced the parts, I started the van by jumping the starter motor relay under the hood. A couple times while I was driving, all the electronics would stop working until I jiggled the key back into position.

While it does not sound like yours is as bad off as mine was, I would suggest looking into or replacing the ignition switch. I was able to replace it myself with parts from O'Reilly and the shop manual. Note that if you replace the key part (rather than just the switch part) your ignition will have a different key than your doors. I had keyless entry on that van but it would be pretty annoying if you don't.

Hope this helps!

Reply to
Scott Ehardt