I wish I had room for this

So bloody tempting, but my wife would kill me!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Gilbern Genie - 1966 to 1969 - production 197.

Reply to
John & Lisa

Yup. Can't be many of them available for 500 quid - unless it gets bid up a lot at the last minute. I suspect that one needs a lot of work, but at least the body won't be rusty. They look marvellous, IMO.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Have they a chassis or subframes that cause problems?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

--------------------

I believe so. The Invader had an improved chassis.

Reply to
John & Lisa

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Willy Eckerslyke waffled on in a semi-interesting fashion, it went something like this;

Bugger, that's about 10 minutes from here, and I've always wanted one. However, I've got no room either :'(

Reply to
Pete M

ISTR a restoration article on one of these - or something from the Gilbern stable.

The thing that made it difficult was the body being riveted onto the chassis. One hell of a lot of rivets to drill out to repair any corrosion in the chassis

Reply to
Mark W

Seperate chassis, multi-tube - not sure whether it's considered a proper spaceframe. Some of the worst rust spots are just about completely inaccessible with the body on. I knew one blike who recomissioned a Gilbern Invader Estate by tacking in replacement tubes where he could and disguising the bodge with underseal. He then sold it on to some unsuspecting punter. The "restorer" was a complete d*****ad, the car completely unsafe.... Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

When I was living in South Wales, there were a number of Gilberns in my local car club, not surprising I suppose. I remember a Gilbern Genie entered in the annual show programme as a "Gibbon Gurnie", and that is how they have been known to me ever since.... Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

ISTR a decent, roadworthy and MOTd example is only worth about £3k - you could easily spend that, and more, getting that rather dog-eared example up to the same standard.

Reply to
SteveH

Practical Classics, about 2 years back.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

It's often the way. Fibreglass bodies may sound good in that they can't rust, but repairing the chassis on many where it's bonded on is a bigger pain than many all steel cars.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What about it?

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

ISTR reading something about the door hinges being a particular pain as they slot through the glass-fibre into steel behind.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Yebbut that's not really the point, is it? Mind you, it's not a car I'd really want to buy unseen. It sold for 670 quid in the end, so hopefully someone will restore it.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

IMHO, I'd not touch anything made in such small numbers - especially not something made out of GRP over a tubular steel frame......

Reply to
SteveH

"SteveH" wrote in a message

-------------------------

Why?

Reply to
John & Lisa

In news:TLidg.31$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-win.ntli.net, John & Lisa waffled on in a semi-interesting fashion, it went something like this;

Because it's Steve H.

He's be happy enough buying a fibreglass Ferrari 308, but the Gilbern is Welsh, not Italian....

Reply to
Pete M

Just keep repeating to yourself: "Imagine what the chassis tubes are like".

It's worked for me everytime with Gilberns.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

It'll cost a mint to respray, though. And you can't see just how rusty the chassis might be.

Agree. Lovely things but....

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen