Mercedes wipers not working - why?

The wipers gave up on my W123 during a heavy downpour - the plastic cup broke up (previously damaged?) that holds the wiper arm->motor mechanism to the wiper arm mechanism. So I fixed that with parts off my spares car.

After reassembly, on trying the wipers they didn't work. When I turned on the wipers the relay ticked loudly like it was sticking. So I changed the relay, then changed the wiper stalk thinking there was a short somewhere... wipers still not working. I took off the front scuttle panel to check the wiring to the wiper motor thinking I might have disturbed something. All looked fine.

So, with the dash underside and scuttle of the car lying around in bits I thought I'd better check the fuse. It was fine but a 5A not a 10A. Put in the correct fuse and the wipers worked fine - using the original relay and stalk!

My question is - why?? Why did they work before the mechanism fell apart but not after I had fixed it. Extra load?

And why didn't I check the fuse before taking the car apart?

Reply to
Sean

And I criticised my garage for troubleshooting by random replacement!

Reply to
Tim

Quite sure it wasn't a blown 5A fuse?

Heh. Because the bleedin obvious is always the hardest thing to see?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Probably. Or just luck ;)

You have a spares W123 you say? Don't suppose there's a glovebox lid available? Someone put weight on mine and the inner plastic section has cracked, so it doesn't sit flush anymore.

Must get mine back on the road soon.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Yep, in black - y'can have it you want, though you'd likely get one more local to you, no?

Reply to
Sean