Tax Exempt

My 1964 Austin Mini hasn't been MoT'd or taxed since 1990, so the V5 states the tax class as "PLG". Is it possible to get this changed to "Historic" without the car being MoT'd or taxed?

The car is in a million pieces at the moment, so an MoT is out of the question!

Just wondered if it was possible to do...

-- Howard

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe -
Austin Mini DeLuxe -
Austin Mini Super DeLuxe~~ To email me, go to my website ~~
Reply to
Howard Rose

class to historic vehicle. Steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

Made me wonder about the SORN. Have you declared it off road? will DVLA penalise you if you've not or even make you re-register? Mark

Reply to
Mark Brazendale

Apparently SORN did not apply to cars NOT taxed at the time that SORN was introduced.

Reply to
bt

It's not SORN'd. I asked the DVLA, and they said that it's not necessary to do so on a car that's been off the road since SORN was first introduced (1996?).

I've only had the car since Feb this year, so I will probabally SORN it anyway. None of the previous owners (3 since 1990) have SORN'd it before...

-- Howard

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe -
Austin Mini DeLuxe -
Austin Mini Super DeLuxe~~ To email me, go to my website ~~
Reply to
Howard Rose

Oh, and the car hasn't been taxed, MoT'd or used at all since Summer

1990.

-- Howard

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe -
Austin Mini DeLuxe -
Austin Mini Super DeLuxe~~ To email me, go to my website ~~
Reply to
Howard Rose

DVLA will NOT change the taxation class to historic. This can ONLY be done at an LVLO when you go and get the tax disk. You will need an MoT and insurance to do this with the form V10 or whatever. So you cant get historic status without actually taxing it... Jonners Queue at Wimbledon was 2 hrs when I did my Dolly.

Reply to
Jon Tilson

You don't need to go to an LVLO, it can be done at a post office. I did this with my A40.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Ok, I'll do it when it finally gets on the road!

thanks :-)

-- Howard

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe -
Austin Mini DeLuxe -
Austin Mini Super DeLuxe~~ To email me, go to my website ~~
Reply to
Howard Rose

This has changed since the beginning of 2003. You now need to produce the V5 to tax the vehicle - if the taxation class on the V5 does not match then they will not issue the disc. You have to go to the VRO to do this. I took a trip to Bristol VRO only last week to do this on a Herald which had been idle since 1982, Cheers, Bill.

-- Rarebits4classics .......just what you've been looking for

PO Box 1232 Calne Wiltshire SN11 8WA United Kingdom

William Davies

So, do you have to go to the VRO, send in your V5, wait 2 weeks for the new one to arrive, and THEN go tax it?

Or will they take the V5 off you and give you the new Tax Disc there and then (and you'll get the updated V5 later)?

-- Howard

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe -
Austin Mini DeLuxe -
Austin Mini Super DeLuxe~~ To email me, go to my website ~~
Reply to
Howard Rose

You'll be glad to hear it's the latter. The number of people who were at the VRO with the wrong paperwork and suchlike was incredible. I was in and out of there in half an hour - 25 minutes in the queue adn 5 minutes getting the disc. No sign of the new V5 yet, but that usually tkes a few weeks, Cheers, Bill.

-- Rarebits4classics .......just what you've been looking for

PO Box 1232 Calne Wiltshire SN11 8WA United Kingdom

William Davies

Thanks! Last time I was there I had to wait almost an hour while they sorted peoples registration transfers.