If Ford had Cummins?

As I've always heard it, it wasn't ever a problem in the past. I think "weaseling" out of the full repair cost in something new because when it happened to me was the first time I'd ever heard of it. Forewarned is forearmed.

Reply to
BigIronRam

Isn't that with the snow plow package? I thought the "regualar" rating was

4,800 or 4,850?
Reply to
BigIronRam

That figure would be interesting to know. I put 300,000 plus miles on my '82 Ramcharger 318 engine, I remember one pump that failed and put me on the side of the road. There could have been another, I just can't remember...if there were, they didn't leave me on the road, those are memorable.

Twice it left me standed, once a fuel pump, once when it was nearly new, about 4,000 miles, it left me on I-55 in the Missouri bootheel well south of Sikeston. I got to a phone, they sent a wrecker, got to the dealer and they had the ignition module replaced before the wrecker had time to get unhooked. Pretty slick.

Reply to
BigIronRam

What is memorable with the LP is when it failed you couldn't go to the dealer and get one put on. Because DC was sitting on the damn thing's. Nor could you go to your local napa and pick one up.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

The weight rating on the tires, not the truck. Tires below Range E wouldn't be up to the task. I think my tires are at 3400lbs capacity, which means the axle rating (5200) is less than the tire rating at 6000+ capacity.

Does it weigh more than a plow? If not, no worries. Do you have the plow springs in the truck? If so, no worries.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Whats the total weight of the truck? Not GVRW, but "dry weight"?

Well, figure this....that axle was originally rated at 3800 or so, and the rating changed without any real change in design, if any at all. Plus, the

01's and 02's had a Cummins w/plow option, IIRC.

YMMV.

Reply to
Max Dodge

I agree as well. Everybody has problems, it's how you handle them that sets you apart. As I noted somewhere else in this thread, Cummins is taking care of their customers, Dodge is weaseling. That's what bothers me about the whole thing.

Reply to
BigIronRam

They did.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Nope - that's the 4x4 rating. On 4x2's, the front end is rated at less weight (4750lbs. for the '07s). All 4x4 diesel's show a 5,200lb. front axle.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

About 7,100lbs.

Again, I'm just reporting numbers. "Plenty of room left for a plow" is a bit of an over-statement, at least for the current trucks. Nate's concerns over the weight on his front axle seem legitimate.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Not to mention that when a gas engine's fuel pump failed, the car stopped. When the 2nd gen LP's failed, the engine also stopped, but by the time it did, a $2K injection pump was wrecked, as well.

Think about it in those terms.... what else could fail and produce as much damage, dollar-wise? Timing belt on an interference engine? That's why they have regular maintenance intervals.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I read it as it was 15psi when new, but slowly dropped to 5psi, which is when/why he changed it.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Very good point.

Reply to
Roy

Okay.

Reply to
Roy

i dont know how much weight my slide in camper puts on the front end, but i already have 300# of winch and front bumper on my truck. it looks like adding another 250-300 pounds (generator and mount) would either be over the limit, or to close for comfort. :-(

im wondering if i should consider swapping in an F450/F550 front axle.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

this would be working under the assumption that most of them failed closer to the 100,000 mark like mine did. according to roy, the average was around

12,000 miles i think. lets say of the 1 in 5.88 failures, that 80% of them were under 50,000 miles. would it still be acceptable?
Reply to
Nathan In Montana

nate, im not saying it is acceptable, i just think that max has a good point. there is a lot of good info that we don't know yet that has a bearing on the subject. im not trying to spin it good or bad......the facts or the truth about it will determine that........the more info (facts) that we have the more accurate the final analysis. i think that we have pretty well established that dc customer service blew this big time and really did a "un" service to their customers no matter what the failure rate was. now i am just curious as to the real extent of the problem or failure itself. i remember a lot of people back then crying cover up on the part of dc and a lot of us telling them they were imagining things. lokks like a lot of us may have been wrong but id like more info. thats all im saying.

Reply to
theguy

Mine is at 6500 before fuel and driver, so 7000 in stock form. A bit less than the new "improved" trucks.

It looked to be an 02 (?) so he should be looking at similar weighhts to mine, and since the 02 had a plow option.....

Reply to
Max Dodge

i understand exactly what you mean and im not criticizing you for it. max's assumption is that failure is acceptable since they are going to the 100,000 mile mark. my point is how acceptable or normal is it if the majority of the failures happen below 50,000 miles (which im betting is the generous norm based on what ive read from several sources).

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

? my truck is an '05 bighorn dually.

the '01.5 was the lift pump failure, but not the truck im concerned with overloading the front on.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana