If Ford had Cummins?

OK, here's the facts.... in 1993, the last year of the D-Series, Dodge sold some 78,000 pickup trucks, gas AND diesel. In 1994, the first year for the BR, they sold some 140,000 pickups, gas and diesel.... almost twice the number! It had NOTHING to do with Cummins... as other's have attempted to tell you, it was the styling!

Last year, MY 2006, the Cummins engine accounted for some 70% of the build in the DR2500/3500 series, but the DR1500 (all gassers, BTW) greatly outsold the heavies.

Don't misunderstand... I think the Cummins is great... the best diesel engine out there... I own one! But to allocate to Cummins alone DC's salvation is a gross overstatement.

Finally, do you really believe that DC will drop Cummins just because you hear "rumors"? You may dislike 'em, but the folks at DC ain't stupid. Why do you think they selected Cummins as the source of their new LD diesel when they could have just as easily adapted a MB or Moteri engine that was already in their stable? They did it for one reason... they recognize the goodwill and reputation of the Cummins brand. Just as they have capitalized on the HEMI brand of yesteryear.

As I said in my ealier post, you are overreacting to scuttlebutt, sir! I may be an asshole, but you have jumped ship on this one.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Damn, Mac... yer makin' it tough...

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Excellent news. I'm hopeful that the newer versions of the B series solve the emissions problems without a triple shot of fuel.

What makes ya think that?

Reply to
Max Dodge

Interesting Nate, since I'm betting that all you know of Mike and Deiter is the same that I know, and your opinion is certainly not based on the same evidence I've seen. Mike is informative factual and reasoned; Deiter is congenial, has a sense of humor, and a great leadership style.

Anyone claiming differently has something clouding their vision of the facts, or has access to info they aren't sharing.

On the side of irony, Deiter is doing exactly what Lee did, and yet, no complaints about Lee.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Its in order to do so.

Reply to
Max Dodge

There were several places that retro-fit kits could be had. After the years there was a problem, Chrysler obviously solved the problem.

Reply to
Max Dodge

My mistake, I thought that contract covered only matching GVWR's.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Sales numbers were the very reason Dodge restyled the Ram. They had 7% of the market, with half of those being diesels. Figures for 1992 were 46,471 Cummins out of 74,558 produced. In 1993, 49,226 Cummins out of 75,166 total. In 1994, after a restyling of the body, Cummins equipped trucks sold 44,569 out of an astounding 195,372.

Clearly, the Cummins option sold LESS after the restyling, while truck sales were 2.5 times as many. The restyle sold more trucks than the Cummins option.

Source:

Who cares, this is a "red herring".

Reply to
Max Dodge

i think id like to see what mike has to say.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

i AGREE that the styling sold trucks. HOWEVER, disregard the first couple of years because back then dodge was the only truck with the cool retro look. ford redesigned thier trucks in '99, so lets start around 2000. i believe that the cummins was a MAJOR boost for the dodge line. when i read the camping forums i dont hear ANYONE talking about the looks of todays dodge........only the cummins engine.

certainly.......BUT. marketing is built upon a flagship. the jeep rubicon for example is the flagship jeep. many cant afford a rubicon so they buy the cheaper model wranglers. the rubicon also sells cheaper wranglers. now im not suggesting this is why so many 1500s are sold, but it does play a part. the cummins dodge has an AWESOME reputation.....just read the camper forums.....and this makes the entire dodge truck line more appealing to many. the magic of marketing. perhaps i overestimate the value of cummins to dodge, and perhaps you underestimate it.....but i dont think dodge would be where they are without it.

not at all. i didnt say they would drop cummins. i said IF they do, it will be their biggest f*ck up.

i dont buy vehicles based on personal feelings toward some, that much should be obvious since ive bought 5 new new vehicles from them since.

i dont understand how forming an OPINION is an overreaction.

it seems i misread your intentions mike. im sorry about that.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

which should tell you all you need to know about how common the issue was/is.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

thats funny. even YOU admitted to his arrogance in your original reply to me.

why would you change your statement now?

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

im NOT taking away from the restyle, i KNOW it sold trucks. it put the dodge truck on the map. the profit margin however, is much higher on a diesel. not to mention the number of 1500 trucks sold due to the reputation of the cummins powered dodge. yes im possibly overestimating the level of the contribution of the cummins, just as you are UNDERestimating it.

a red herring implies that im trying to distract the conversation. HARDLY. im simply adding to it. the ENTIRE conversation (read the title) is HYPOTHETICAL. no red herring.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

Incorrect and taken out of context. Nice spin, but expected....

This was in reference to Germans in general, not a single individual.

I haven't, you've simply excised it from its context and tried to spin it to suit your needs.

Moving on....

Reply to
Max Dodge

I think he deserves an apology no matter what he says. You overstepped your bounds and reason. Man up and do the right thing.

Reply to
Max Dodge

It sure does... all those places were performance outlets, catering to those thta were making more power than the factory lift pump was designed to feed.

IOW, the problem was found among those that modified their trucks, much as I said it was.

Use all the information, and you'll find you get a better picture of reality. Use pieces of it, and you just might invade a Middle Eastern nation for no apparent reason.

Reply to
Max Dodge

Gotta disagree with you there. Stock trucks LP's's were failing at a alarming rate. IIrc 15K was the average. Most of us carried a spare. Sure those with mods failed quicker.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

bullshit. i suppose my TOTALLY STOCK '01.5 was some sort of anomaly.

when you wont even acknowledge KNOWN truths it taints your entire argument. your agenda is stronger than your own truth. thats sad max, especially considering how KNOWN this issue is. need i drag up the archives of when i posted this problem in here from late '04 where many "in the know" discussed the KNOWN issue?

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

sheesh, cut out the drama already. youre starting to sound like a girl.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

spin MY ASS. i took you at your literal statement.

i was referencing d/c marketing, and Z in particular to which you responded. NEVER did i reference germans in general.

fair enough.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana