If Ford had Cummins?

A reply from Cummins on the issue. No hard numbers... again.

Max Dodge

I've done a search and looked at five pages of possible info.... not one of them has a verifiable failure rate.

Tom isn't full of shit, but saying the lift pump is the weak link in the engine is like saying the universal joint is the weak link in the driveshaft. Everything has a weak link, even that tow chain that has performed flawlessly forever that lays in the bed of many a pickup. IOW, claiming that something is a weak link doesn't assign a failure rate, nor does it indicate flawed design.

Reply to
Max Dodge

In the mean time I'm standing there with my truck on it's ass waiting for DC to release a lp after they determined my truck wasn't bombed. WTF!!! Glad you can follow that logic.

There was a time that the regional warehouse couldn't get them. Hopefully the in the tank one will hold together, cause these will suck to change. The old one's were 15 minutes and you were done. Listen to me, I'm talking about repairing a new 40+K truck like it is a okay deal. It is friggin' crazy what dc has us trained to put up with. I must be loseing it.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

.....so would you think nearly 1 in 5 is enough to justify my "rampant" label?

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

thank you.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

Its not a good diesel on paper. Good diesels come in inline six design, and have cast iron heads. Good diesels do not require grid heaters AND glow plugs. The Dmax doesn't have the durability ratings of the Cummins, and has more parts to fail. Last, its a light duty diesel competing against a medium duty diesel.

And you admit all this in your statement:

You squashed your own point again.

Moving on.

Reply to
Max Dodge

shit. ill bet in the last 5 years your posts outnumber mine at least 50 to

lol.....so this justifies your arrogance as you shout IGNORANCE on this topic?

......i knew you wouldnt have the integrity to admit that YOU ARE WRONG on this, just like you never admitted to being WRONG about the existance of a

318HD. some things just never change.
Reply to
Nathan In Montana

lol as if it matters? its a FUCK UP. you were WRONG, and now youll try to piddle your way around it.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

Because the die-hard Cummins fans don't want to see "their" engine of choice replace with something else. Personally, I would be happy to own a Dodge with a MB engine in it, if they would go back the 97 98 body style.

Reply to
azwiley1

.......so now you call it an "issue".....the one that never existed?

lol....own it max, youll feel better. :-)

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

i do believe that much as been established. 1 in 5 and thats just those under warranty.....add to it the number of failures from modified rigs and you have the issue that you claim never existed.

no shit, and neither am i (i did afterall, have to school you on this issue that doesnt exist), but i know you cant bring yourself to acknowledge it.

what bullshit SPIN. it wasnt the weak link like a u-joint max. it was a piss poor design prone to failure. OWN IT.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

I actually find this funny. I just got a recall for my Chevy, due to a "safety issue" to have them replace the damn tailgate straps. DC however doesn't find it needed for a recall on this problem. Hmm!

Reply to
azwiley1

you were NOT correct. WILL BE is not the same thing as available as you claimed, and its certainly subject to change at any point prior to. yet another f*ck up, own it max.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

more power, less weight, BETTER MILEAGE....it is PERFECT on paper.

WRONG.....because i clearly differentiated between the two (on paper which the bean counters look at, to real world bottom line). i dont however, expect you to acknowledge ANYTHING, including the RAMPANT lift pump issue that you claim doesnt exist.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

Which is exactly my point, Roy. My experience (and Nate's, though he'll dispute it) indicate that lift pump failure isn't all that common and happens in a random manner just as any part fails. Since we are all basing this on personal experience, its hard to claim its either "unknown", or "known", since all parts fail, and thats also "known".

So..... we're left with the same phenomena that follows any part failure.... transmissions, lift pumps etc. It looks bigger than it really is because of the concentration in one place of those who are affected. All the automakers have had problems with the OD transmissions, but to say all the transmission designs were terribly flawed is erroneous. Same goes for the lift pump, especially in light of evidence that mounting the same pump elsewhere "cured" the problem.

Thats why I asked for a failure rate, instead of personal experience. If you ask me, the steering box is a piece of shit, but thats because I've had three of them in the truck, and am now on my fourth. Does that mean its a "known problem"? Or does it mean I'm a bit harder on my steering, like hopping curbs, flying over snow mounds, etc? Who knows, but I'm not going to claim the steering box is a flawed design just because its been bad on my truck.... the same box has been fitted to millions of Dodge and GM pickups. Whats the failure rate?

Reply to
Max Dodge

Nate, I have to ask.. How can DC be to blame or held accountable for anything on a vehicle that has been modified, regardless of level of modification and one of DC's parts fail?

That would be like modifying a dmax to the max (not you max ) having it fail and then blaming chevy

Reply to
azwiley1

Pretty much what I've been saying.......

Reply to
Max Dodge

if youll stop spinning fast enough to read, youll see that it has already been established as 1 in 5 of those with valid warranties. add to that those with modified trucks and its much higher.

its hard to believe you are STILL trying to dispute this. it goes to show exactly what ive said about you. you will not see beyond your own agenda, facts be damned.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana

Again, this is the biggest issue I've had with Chrysler, only at the dealer level. Customer service has been spotty or bad for years, depending on what level you are dealing.

But Nate never listed it in DC's biggest fuckups.

Reply to
Max Dodge

they arent accountable for those in any legal sense, but due to the rate of failure on the warrantied trucks those numbers cannot be simply dismissed.

Reply to
Nathan In Montana