Punto "lights check" warning

I have a niggling problem with my 2000 model Punto ELX. The dashboard amber warning light for "lights check" stays on continuously when I have either side,dipped or full beams lights switched on.

The handbook states that this is meant to signify a blown bulb or other voltage problem with the external lights, however all this has been thoroughly checked and no problems have been found?????.. does anyone have any further suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,

Ps.I did think of just simply disconnecting the warning light, however the unit is sealed!

Reply to
Andrew Stevens

"Andrew Stevens" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

My car is a 2000 Sporting and the same warninglight comes on now and then when i hit the brakes, but there's nothing wrong. When ik took it to my dealer to have it diagnosed there seems to be nothing wrong either. So i don't mind then... By the way, have you changed a lightbulb (front/rear main lights including licenceplate) which has not the right amount of watts? This can cause your problem. Some Punto's have 10 watt lightbulbs in the rear lights and others 5 watts. If not, take it to a Fiat dealership to have a diagnose. Success.

Reply to
E-Cie

Have the same problem with my 2001 Punto Sporting since about two months. Checked all lights, no blown bulbs. But I don't worry much as long as the lights are on... ;)

Reply to
Christoph Bamberger

Thanks for the advice here, thinking about it, the problem did start after a change of light bulb - I will check the wattages over the weekend. Many thanks,

Reply to
Andrew Stevens

We have had this happen occassionally with our 2000 reg Punto ELX but after a while it goes out.However when a headlamp bulb went and another time a side light stopped working ( a tap on the headlamp unit brought the sidelight on again), this light never came on. Quite what Fiat have designed this indicator to do I don't know.

Reply to
Brian Hall

On the subject of Punto headlamp bulbs, have you ever tried to replace the one by the battery? (it's more or less impossible to detach the cover due to insufficient space!).

Reply to
Andrew Stevens

"Andrew Stevens" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

You are right. That's why i take it to my dealer to have it changed at no charge (service, they say!) Yes, they do exist... :-))

Reply to
E-Cie

I've done it twice,- it is a pain, the two screws holding the headlamp must be taken out then there is enough space to change the bulp...

Reply to
Christian

Hi,

Just a follow up to offer my thanks on this. I have now checked the bulbs and yes, there was a 5 watt bulb instead of a 10 watt - this niggling little problem is now solved!

Many thanks,

Reply to
Andrew Stevens

"Andrew Stevens" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

You're welcome. Happy (Italian) motoring!

Reply to
E-Cie