'02 Mountaineer - remote start from Ford

I have a 02 Mountaineer AWD V8. I have the keyless entry and would like to add remote start. I know Ford makes one for the MM. Anyone tried it? Would I lose any keyless entry features? The remote looks like it doesn't the key to pop the back glass open.

Any ideas, opinions are greatly appreciated.

MM

Reply to
MercMan

I've been researching this. For the Ford one if you just get the remote start you can keep the keypad. Also you still can pop the back glass, I think you hold the unlock button for 2 seconds or something.

I asked about having the remote start turn on the defroster (hold down start button) and he said they don't do that cause they can't get it to work right. I didn't think to ask if they could have it turn on the heated seats instead! That would be great!

Also you can still use your old remotes if you want. (No remote start of course)

One thing I forgot to ask is if you can use the remote start to keep the car running for quick errands like the aftermarket systems.

Reply to
JaWise

(apologies to JaWise, didn't mean to "Reply to sender" on this one, meant to reply to group but hit the wrong button)

So I guess I shouldn't even bother with asking them again :( I had that installed in my '02 Explorer November of 2001.... the rear defrost option wasn't working.... and he said he'd call me when they found out why. No call in nearly 2 years...... but I continued to check up on it for 6 months and gave up long ago.

Oh yes, surely so. I have the Gold System (Security & Remote Start) package. When I pull up to a stop, I put it into park, take my foot off of the brake, and then hold down the remote start button on my keypad for 2 seconds. I hear a chirp (or some may hear the horn honk if they chose that rather than the siren), and my doors lock. Then, I turn the key to the off position and take them out and exit the vehicle. The engine continues to run for a pre-set time (mine is apparently 10 minutes, but I read it's programmable by the installer for 10 to 15 minutes).

Tim

Reply to
Tim