"93" Radio install

Bought a used 93 without a radio. I wanted to install a stock am/fm/cass that was given to me, I was told came from an explorer.

Now I'm having trouble with the connectors,

I have radio wires coming out of the radio slot. One set goes to a female connector with 8 tongue slots in 1 row, the other female connector is square shaped with 2 rows of 4 pin slots. The radio has 2 places to plug in connectors both have single row male tongue connectors so 1 connector plugs in but the square female connector does not match the single row radio slot.

Has any one on this group had this problem?

I know most readers are probably saying WTF is he asking. But I'm guessing there are a few saying oh yeah, been through that, this is what I ended up doing.

Sid

Reply to
K9KO

My guess is the Explorer you bought has the higher-end stereo option, but the stereo you have came from an Explorer that didn't. Your plugs sound like mine (it has been a year since I looked at them, so I don't recall for certain).

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

I'm trying to find out how to put a generic stereo in a '92. Yesterday I was at Walmart and apparently there are install kits available that attach to the new stereo and then it pops into the slot like the Ford stereo. The kits also seem to come with a removal tool. There are also wiring adapters but Walmart didn't have the right ones in stock. My next stop is going to be an auto parts store and see what they have. It also seems (from what I've read) that the "Premium Sound" stereos and the regular ones have different connectors but it looks to me like they are the same since I was able to take the "Premium" one out of my '91 and stick it in the '92 (and vice versa) without any difficulties or changes. Both used only one of the smaller, square connectors plus the other, longer connector.

To add to the confusion the Eddie Bower Explorer had the regular stereo and the LTX had the Premium Sound. It seems like it should be the other way around.

Please post your results. I'm not willing to give Ford $480 for a stereo that pops right in.

Reply to
Ulysses

The install kit I seen at WM did not have the removal tool or wiring adapters enclosed. The packaging is deceiving. In small print is says best used with/then in large print DIN removal tool and wiring, giving you the impression its enclosed. And the connectors at WM for the explorer were 2 of the long ones that would have fit my radio but not the vehicle end. I think my next step is to pull one out of a similar vehicle in a salvage yard and check the wiring.

Ulysses wrote: Yesterday I was at Walmart and apparently there are install kits available that attach to the new stereo and then it pops into the slot like the Ford stereo. The kits also seem to come with a removal tool. There are also wiring adapters but Walmart didn't have the right ones in stock.

Reply to
K9KO

I noticed that the wiring connector was seperate, but I missed the removal tool part. Thanks.

I emailed you a pic of the connections on the back on my stereo from my '91. With the unit right-side-up the connectors will be on the right. The top one on the far right has two connections, the middle has eight, and the bottom one has six. The longer connector toward the left has eight. It seems unlikely that it would be different for a '93 but we are talking about Ford here.

Hope this saves you a trip to the salvage yard.

Reply to
Ulysses

Reply to
Big Shoe

Thanks!

Reply to
Ulysses

K9KO... lemmesee... you have a dog that is a boxer?

Reply to
Ulysses

No but good guess. K9KO was after a Newfoundland dog named Kao. She was a great Dog that passed away last November. She saved lives in the water and on land.

I am training a boxer named Frazier who every one mistakingly thinks is named after the tv show.

(Ulysses) wrote: K9KO... lemmesee... you have a dog that is a boxer?

Reply to
K9KO

Ulysses, The radio I have has 2 of the long 8 prong plugs. So it will not plug into my explorer harness.

Seeing your picture and rereading your 5/5/05 post answers my questions.

Thanx Sid

Reply to
K9KO

Great poem. I've never read it before. Good to know there are others who really appreciate dogs.

I recently lost my dog Howdy. He was the best friend I ever had. Here's his site which my daughter did:

Ulysses