Rear Window recall on 2002

Has anyone been able to get Ford to replace the poorly designed rear glass hinges and support struts on warrenty yet? I got the recall notice, but all I get are excuses that the parts are not in yet.

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

That would likely be a problem with your chosen dealer unless the demand for the parts has outstripped the supply (sometimes happens with large campaigns).

We have only had to do two and the parts were available from Bramalea.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Have not been called by the dealer yet, after getting the notice in the mail

3-4 weeks ago. Last I heard, it would be early Dec. wth
Reply to
wth

"Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik" wrote in news:C2Mod.21441$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

We had it done already, a few weeks ago. Window broke two days before the notice came. Ford paid to touch up the paint as well, but made me pay $25 to fix the wiper which broke as it crashed to the ground. Fo $25 I didn't feel like arguing.

Reply to
akheel

Could you please explain what "breaks"?

Does the hinge come apart or what?

When we had had our '02 for a month or so, the right side hinge came loose/ unscrewed. Only one small bolt holding it on. They put it back together - no charge.

WLW

Reply to
Weldon Wallick

Thanks for your replies! I will drop into the local stealership and face them in person (not as easy to lie to me that way)

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

Weldon Wallick wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Its that screw that comes loose. The piston rod for the lift strut attaches to the screw in an offset position. This causes the attachment point to rotate and can bend the rod or it can slip off completely. When it bends, it can jam, and as you close the window, the end of the rod becomes a fulcrum and the window glass a big lever because the attachment point is way up the glass. The glass is the auto safety type of course and is made to shatter with force, and it doesn't take much since the glass is particularly weak right there due to the hole in the glass for the bolt. That's what happened to me and I had a million little pieces of glass everywhere and a wiper hanging by its wires. If the rod just slips off, the window can come crashig down and/or the loose end of the rod may knock the window somewhere, again breaking it.

What they do on the recall is put some black epoxy looking stuff under the backing plate where the bolt goes through presumably so it wont come loose and let the attachment point rotate. They whole design is lame. I looked at a 2004, and its totally reversed. The lift strut attaches high on the truck and low on the glass, so you eliminate the lever effect. There is no bolt through the glass, but rather a big attachment plate that looks bonded to the glass. The attachment point is not offset so there is nothing to rotate. The offset design on the 2002 to me is the dumbest part of the whole thing.

Reply to
akheel

I hope the recall is more than that. That's been done to mine twice already. Luckily mine have come loose when opening the glass so I haven't had shattered glass.

I'm thinking they are gonna put some kind of bracket that goes around the edge of the glass to prevent rotation.

Reply to
JaWise

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JaWise) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m10.aol.com:

You'd think they try that,especially since they have an edge of glass metal wrap around on the newer setup, but no, the extra glue stuff is all I can see. Maybe there is something under all of that I can't see that prevents the rotation, like a metal insert or something. Any Ford dealers out there know?

Reply to
akheel

I've called five dealerships in the Nashville area and all of them say that they don't have the parts and haven't heard when they will have them. One guy told me that he had about 40 people calling him on a daily basis.

Joe

Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik wrote:

Reply to
Topshelf 14

Yep...thats what I'm getting in California too :(

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

Yep in Australia, they tell me next year.

Reply to
David