91 town car shift problem

My 91 Town car will not shift from park after engine is started. I have to manualy over ride the system as explained in the owners manual by turning off the engine, then set the parking brake, then turn the ignition key to the first notch, then pull gear shift lever to neutral, then start the engine after which I can then pull the gear shift lever into drive.

Reply to
protrack

Your brake light switch is bad. Should set you back about $20USD in the aftermarket like Advance, Autozone, Pep, etc. Ford dealer should be about the same. I have no idea what labor may be. Takes only a couple of minutes to change. BTW, you probably have no brake lights which presents a very high risk of being rear ended until you get this fixed. Do it today!!.

Reply to
lugnut

He is correct. Either the brake light switch or the connector to the brake light switch. They're mounted where the brake pedal is hinged inside the cabin.

Not only are you missing brake lights, your cruise control is probably out as well. He's absolutely right... fix this today. You shouldn't be riding around without brake lights... not to mention the PITA you're having getting the car in gear.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Don't forget to check the fuse first...

Reply to
Jim Warman

lmfao its the boo switch i guarentee it

hurc ast

Reply to
marvin

Cruise control will not be affected by a non-working BOO switch if the only problem is that the shift interlock & brake lights are not working.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Sure it well, the cruise won't disengage when the brakes are tapped. Bob

Reply to
Bob

Yes it will... through the dump valve (if so equipped... is it?), otherwise you're right, tap off won't work. It will engage, though.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I found out that the boo switch will show conductivity when tested but stops conducting when real current is applied. This threw me off when I was testing the circuit.

Reply to
protrack

"protrack" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Another point for the argument against "ohming out" automotive circuits... although it probably would have shown relatively high resistance; maybe 5-

30 ohms.

using test light or volts scale would have nailed it.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic