Overhead console "door" F350

Anyone know where to find a "door" for the middle section of an '02 F350's overhead console that doesn't cost nearly $100??. Went to retrieve my sunglasses this morning and the fuggin' latch snapped off. Local dealer stocks 'em (which raises my eyebrows more than a bit) but they're $89..

Anywhere online I can get it for less?? (or do I keep the dime I've got it wedged closed with in there and start taking the glasses into the house with me? hehehe)

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

I don't know about replacement doors, but do you think the overhead console would fit an '01 F250SD??

I have been looking for one for awhile now. Do all the dealers have them?

Reply to
My Own Little Universe

Should. They're pretty much the same truck...

I don't see why you couldn't get one. The door that broke on mine is a normally stocked item which leads me to believe it's a known "problem". I just don't see how they can get $89 for what's basically a 5" x 5" piece of plastic..

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

They wanted 89.00 for the friggin door???? I thought that was for the console.........please correct me if I am wrong...

Reply to
My Own Little Universe

For the DOOR. (I asked the guy twice to be sure I heard him correctly) I find that price Ri-fuggin-diculous...

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

I think I would have asked him a few more times, just to make sure he didn't read the wrong part number....hol e cow

Any idea what the whole console goes for? Maybe I will hit my local 'vehicle part reclamation establishment' to see if they have any wrecked F250/350's

Reply to
My Own Little Universe

Well, I ran up to the dealer this afternoon to pick up the door. Yep, $89 effin' dollars for the door. I decided to hold off for now. The dime I've got wedged into the "crack" to hold it closed is working ok for now.

I'm doing that very same thing myself to see if I can find this little door...

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Welp, the old door pretty much "exploded" yesterday and fell out of the console. Dunno WTF happened, but it came down in pieces and while doing the "post-mortem", I discovered the plastic was extremely brittle.

Hit up the dealer for a new one and managed to talk 'em down to $66 but that's still a ridiculous price to pay for a 5" square of plastic.

Service guys said "oh, it just snaps right in" when I asked if there was any trick to replacing it. So far, "snaps right in" is a euphamism for "how the %&%&^ does this thing go on!?" Poking around with a flashlight and a smal mirror, I can see where it's supposed to go, but the "slot" the pivots are supposed to snap in to is quite a bit smaller than the pivots themselves. I'm afraid if I push any harder, I'll end up back at the dealer dropping another $66 on another door.. (or buying a new console cover)

So here's the question. Anyone know how the heck to get the console cover off? My "manual" (service CD) shows a really bad picture of the assembly and it appears to snap topgether. Unfortunately, I can't unsnap it and can't get my fingers under this cover to feel around inside. Ideas (short of paying the dealer to do it) anyone??

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

you just pull the console down most of the time you break the tabs that hold it to the bracket and end up getting the whole console id say i break 4 out of 10 as far as cost i dont know the ones i do are under

3/36
Reply to
GOTTOGO65

Crap. The fuggin' door was over $60 alone. I can't imagine what the console itself would cost. I'm still irked the damned thing broke in the 1st place. Open it, close it. That's all the stress it was ever under and it literally shattered when it failed..

Any TSBs on these things??

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego