2000 Montana rear Quarter Windows control

Hi Folks

I need a hand trying to determine why my rear power quarter windows on my 2000 Montana are not working... I have checked the fuses and they appear ok. Now I'm trying to test the on/off switch located on the front roof console, can anybody help me? Too many wires?

Danny

Reply to
Danny

Get your DVM out, turn key to "RUN", check voltage at fuse. Should be

12-14VDC.

Check voltage at YEL (yellow, cavity E) wire in back of switch. Should be

12-14VDC.

There are two BLK (black) wires, check resistance between each and ground. One (cavity B) should be 0 and the other (cavity D) should be open. With your meter still on the one that is open (cavity D), push button to "OPEN" rear quarter windows, DVM should now read 0. Switch your DVM to VDC and push button to "CLOSE" rear quarter windows, voltage should read 12-14VDC.

One lead of DVM on ground and the other on the BRN (brown, cavity C) wire, push button to "OPEN" rear quarter windows, DVM should now read 12-14VDC. Push button to "CLOSE" rear quarter windows, resistance should be 0 between BRN and ground.

Start there, see what you find out.

Steve

PS - Here's the wire descriptions:

GRY (cavity A) - (+) from interior lights dimmer BLK (cavity B) - ground YLW (cavity E) - BAT+ in run from fuse block BRN (cavity C) - window open (+), window close ground BLK (cavity D) - window close (+), window open ground

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Steve

Thank-you very much for your help. The voltage checks alright at the Fuse box and the fuse is good, however, the YEL (yellow, cavity E) wire in back to the switch gives me only 1 or less VDC.

I use the power from the light switch on the same console for a test and the window switch worked perfectly. (pink wire to the light bulb)

What do you recommend I do next?

Danny

Steve Mackie wrote:

Reply to
Danny

First, I always like to do the "stupid" test:

Did you check the voltage on both sides of the fuse with the fuse installed? Did you have the key in the "RUN" position when you checked the voltage at the switch? Did you have a good ground when checking the voltage at the switch?

After that, then I am comfortable going deeper. Find connector C200, I/P wiring harness behind right side of the I/P next to an array of solenoids, close to the passenger side kick panel. It has 56 cavities so it's quite big. Cavity D3 is the yellow wire going to the switch, check voltage on both sides. Unplug the connector to check the voltage coming from the fuse.

The next connector in line is C308, located in the right B-Pillar behind the lower trim. Check the voltage at cavilty K. Both sides. Unplug the connector, check the voltage coming from the fuse. If the voltage is incorrect there, then the job gets rellay involved.

In between C200 and C308 there is a splice. One side going to C308 and the other going to the ALC (auto level control) sensor, compressor and relay. The sensor is located outside the vehicle above the rear axle, can't miss it, big arm sticking out of it attached to the rear axle. Since this sensor is outside, I would almost suspect a short in the sensor. Unplug the sensor and check the voltage on the yellow wire.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie