Gasket failure: again!

No need, the available record does that on its own. Do a search,WBMA

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That is likely, the engines on most car today are completely covered. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You are indeed funny Mike. What do you do, close your eyes to what is going on to this very day with GM motors? Do you actually read any of the posts here about people with gasket problems? Can robots read?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Actually, no they are not. But I'm certain that removal of the cover, if there were one would pose a challenge for you.

Pretty sad when all one knows about cars is what is published in Automotive News.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Good advice. Thanks. I went and looked at a Ioy Sienna... Any issues with those I should know about??

Reply to
Ice

That's funny coming from a guy who was still in diapers at a time when I was building and driving race cars. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Pal, from one who I'm sure is older than you and who is not going to tire people with a bunch of been there done that, you sound like a total idiot.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Really? What method did you use to true the wooden spoked wheels?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Soaking them in glycerin works well ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Are you a WWII vet as well? Not many of us left

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Get angry with your Congressman for taking action on hazardous materials? Hah.

You're a fool. GM dragged its heels on this and then, rather than being prepared for a ban on asbestos, had to make a change in a hurry and made bad choices. Other manufacturers had teething problems with non-asbestos gaskets but GM's problems dragged on because they did a bad job. They also couldn't have been looking at repair records or they would have more quickly realized they had a problem. Putting bad gaskets in engines for a decade or so? There's no excuse for that.

***
Reply to
DH

Engine manufactures do not make gasket, gasket manufactures make gaskets to meet the engine manufactures specifications . The government ban, on a date certain, did not allow sufficient time to develop a single suitable replacement that was capable of meeting the specs. Four were developed, two worked. Just as happened with the date certain implementation of new paint regulations, Ford, Toyota, Honda, GM etal, as well as the gasket manufactures, and their customers became the victims as a result. Whether you agree with those facts is immaterial to the facts on record. That makes you the fool..

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Would somebody please give the robot a bump - it's stuck in repeat mode again.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Actually, they did! That line of engine has "always" had intake manifold gasket failures! When they first introduced the engine, I was working on them replacing intake gaskets (the old asbestos ones) for the same problem we have today, coolant leaking into the engine.

You need to bone up on your engine history a bit....or else just keep quiet!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

No, they also had lots of intake manifold gasket leaks, and front cover gasket leaks (as was mentioned by another poster). They've been a lousy line of engines from the get-go as far as intake gasket failures. Again, I've worked on them since they were introduced.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

For the sake of argument, let us assume for a moment, that GM has been looking at those repair records. Let us also assume that they did notice the "problem." If those assumptions are true, combined with that we know that others have found ways to solve the problem with material switch-over. What does that suggest of GM? Perhaps they saw customer problem as money making opportunity for service centers?

Reply to
SgtSilicon

No joke.

Reply to
SgtSilicon

Ian,

I'm not doubting what you are saying: just going by my own experiences. We probably work on a quite different product mix. As has often been said "your milage may vary"

Of course then again nothing leaks oil like an old Harley V-Twin.

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

Reply to
William H. Bowen

Those chain oilers were totally misunderstood...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Fact are facts, they are verifiable by anybody willing to do a proper search. They do not change simply because somebody has a different opinion of the facts. Do a search as I did of the court case settlement with Ford and the gasket manufactures, the findings and fact are there for all to read. LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter