Car Stalls...

I have a 98 Civic Ex.

A while back the engine light would go on and off. Stupid, I had the code read but never did anythig about it.

A short time later I noticed that the tachometer start to fluctuate (move back and forth) between rpms but the engine doesn't rev and the cars performance doesn't change. This usually happens when I am accelerating, between 3rd and 4th gears. But like I said, the engine wouldn't rev and the car would jump or move.

During this last week, whenever I am at a stop and the car is idling or if I am driving slow, as was the case this morning, the car may stall out. This morning took me several tries to get it restarted. I am reluctant to have some one look at it because I recently moved and don't have a mechanic yet.

I am not exactly sure what the deal is but I am certain all this events are related. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks.

Reply to
Droneal

TOP POST

Has the car had a tuneup recently? It could be a distributor related item, such as the coil, etc.

Dr> I have a 98 Civic Ex.

Reply to
Alan

It hasn't had a "tune-up" but it did have a new distributor, spark plugs, wires put in in November.

I was wondering if it was possibly related to that. Perhaps even an oversight on the part of the mechanic.

Reply to
Droneal

----------------------------------

Hmmmm. What's the mileage and what kind of tranny? When have you serviced the tranny and engine lately? What was the CODE they wrote on your work order (not the interpretation)? It may not be related, but has the ignition switch recall been performed?

get back to us with more info . . . .

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

"Droneal" wrote in news:5e918e859bbc6@uwe:

Good chance it's the igniter. The tach runs off the igniter output signal.

Yes, you said you have a "new" distributor, but that most likely simply means a remanufactured aftermarket one.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

The mileage is at 123,000 and I have a standard 5-speed transmission. It hasn't been looked at in a while.

I couldn't tell you what the code was when the 'Check Engine' light came on. I want to say it was related to emissions.

I wasn't aware there was an ignition switch recall. However, the ignition was replaced though back in October after someone tried to steal my car and wound up tearing out half the steering column and damaging a lot of other things.

As I stated the distributor was replaced in nov. As someone else commented, it was more than likely an aftermarket rebuild or something. True, it probably was. I don't know.

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Droneal