i30 Tyre pressures

Good morning,

I have a Hyundai i30 diesel waggon (eat your heart out Americanos as it does 20km/litre - nearly 50 mpg). Turbo charged and goes like the clappers!

Anyhow, I have just had the tyres rotated and balanced and the tyre dealer said it has been found that if the tyre pressure was upped to 36 psi from 30 reccommended then that would eliminate scuffing wear on the edges of the tyres.

He said that the 30psi was set by Hyundai as a comfort factor.

I'm pretty sceptical about this 36 psi deal and would appreciate others thoughts

Having the tires at 36psi doesn't seem to affect the smoothness of the ride.

Neville Queensland Australia

Reply to
Neville MADDEN

He may be right, but since I'm not a Hyundai engineer, I can't say for sure. It is not uncommon though, to fiddle with tire pressures to get a better ride. If, in fact, you are getting edge scuffing on the tyre, I'd give it a try for a while and see how handling is.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

As long as you are less than or equal to the maximum pressure that is listed on the tire sidewall, then experiment at will.

Reply to
Voyager

He's probably right, but that's also enough that you may experience a little more wear in the center than on the edges of the tires. I'd suspect 34 PSI would give you closer to even treadwear.

Reply to
hyundaitech