04 Jeep Liberty.

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The vehicle was in 4-wheel drive. Near the end of the video, you can see the right front wheel spin a fraction of a turn, then catch.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Oops, it was near the beginning of the video.

Tom

mabar

I believe that it is in full time 4WD only and not part time 4WD. I say this because there was not enough wheelspin on the front wheels which looked firmly planted to me, if the centre diff was locked like it should have been there should have been more action from the front end. I know real Jeeps don't have full time 4WD but please have a closer look.

You guy's really should drive a KJ you would be surprised. I bought mine because I do a lot of motorway driving but it has proven itself to be very capable in the limited amount of off-road work I've done in it so far.

I have always slammed IFS 4WDrives but for a lot of people a KJ will do all they want plus some, it all comes down to personal choice.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Ross

Jason,

I bought BFG KO's for my wives Liberty, now if I can just get her to let me take it off road, I can see for myself how capable it is. The reason I pushed her toward the Liberty is;

1) most capable 4x4 of the cutiies crowd (Rav4, Santa-fa, Escape, etc...) 2) towing capaticty 3) and she thought it was cute. so far it at 40k we have not had any trouble with it and she seems to still enjoy it.

-Joe

98 TJ
Reply to
Joe Sheldon

Nope. You can't see the front left wheel well enough to be sure it was firmly planted. But, you can tell from the cloud of dust that was generated fron the left front of the vehicle that when the right rear was spinning, the left front was spinning as well. That's what happens in those situations with open diffs.

I'm not saying a Liberty isn't somewhat capable, but it has its shortcomings. The one time I saw one off-road, it got hi-centered on a mound of dirt that stock TJ's were clearing.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

shortcomings. The one time I saw one off-road, it got hi-centered on a mound of dirt that stock TJ's were clearing.<

Liberty was designed for the cute-ute market and is simply not a Jeep as we know them. I watched one smack bottom and spin tires all the way up & down a local trail that a stock TJ or XJ could handle easily. Jeep is obviously in process of abandoning it's market in order to appeal to the soccer-mom crowd. As soon as the new Grand comes out with its IFS you can wave goodby to Jeep as we know it. Next to go will be the TJ replacement.

Reply to
Jerry McG

THAT'S when I see major protests from every online jeeping forum being organized... Who cares about what happened with the KJ. They probably needed the sales and money anyways. Nick

Reply to
Nick N

The folks in Auburn Hills are very aware of the fact that the Wrangler is held in such regard among the off-road community. I view the KJ and the upcoming changes to the Grand as big money makers for them so they can still build the Wrangler as it should be built.

That said, the Unlimted Rubicon may be in my driveway late this year while I can still get it....

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Horses for courses, guys! If you want a full tilt off road machine, the Liberty ain't it. But your off road monster isn't going to have the comfortable ride, nice looks, and amenities the Liberty has.

I've been driving SUVS for 20+ years (Bronco, Bronco II, Blazer, Suburban, Expedition, Explorer, and a wide range of farm trucks), and couldn't be happier with the Liberty for my use. 85% of my driving is on the road, and for that, the Liberty couldn't be better. Seats 4 adults comfortably, has plenty of power, a short turning radius, great ride, efficient A/C, good stereo, good mileage (for an SUV)and its reliable.

For the other 15% of my driving (muddy/bumpy field roads, gravel roads, and icy pavement), it has enough clearance and 4WD capacity to get me to and from anywhere I reasonably need to go. I don't go mudding for fun, I go mudding because I need to be on the other side of the mud. Basically, if the Libby won't go there I ought to be in a farm truck, on a tractor, or on foot. And while I only need to drive on ice a few times each year, the 4WD is essential for those few times.

Economically, the Liberty is a great deal. When I was ready to trade my Explorer in, I looked at the Eddie Bauer Explorer and the Libery Limited with similar equipment. By giving up a handfull of bells and whistles (digital thermostat, numeric code door locks, and automatic headlight dimmer switch), I saved close to $10,000, and got a vehicle that gives me 2-5 mpg better mileage.

So I'd say that for anyone in the market for a comfortable small/medium SUV for every day use and the occasional off road foray, its a great choice.

Reply to
Barry Bean

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Sure, but the drivers know how to drive those roads...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo