93 Grand Cherokee Tranny Question

Hi Guys, You all have been so much help. My 93 Grand Cherokee is starting to miss/shift a bit. After 255K miles, I guess it's allowed. I heard somewhere that if you change the filter and fluid in a high mileage tranny, you can stir up some gunk and cause more problems than you had. Is this true? Would changing the fluid and filter help with the problem? I have no slippage, it just seems to want to shift down at different times than it used to. It sits behind the good old 4 liter 6 by the way. Thanks a lot guys. Denny.

D did pass the time by typing:

No.

Yes.

Going by the book, transmission fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles. I believe 50-60K is more reasonable. At any rate unless your changing the filter all it takes is a suction gun down the filler tube to get most of it. Even dumping the pan doesn't get all the fluid, quit a bit is trapped in the torque converter.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks Doug. You've never steered me wrong. Yep, I'm doing the filter too. Have a great one, and belated Happy Independence Day. Denny

Good to hear from you too Bill.