Cat Converter Shield

'94 YJ. I replaced my muffler and tail pipe this past weekend, what a miserable job that was! In the process the shield on the cat converter came off, both top and bottom. Am I now in jeopardy of burning up the carpet due to the heat? Thanks H-S-F

Reply to
Help-Slip-Franklin

H-S-F, Does it matter as long as the music never stops? ;)

My floorpan gets hot as hell even with a heat shield on the cat. If you smell something, check the carpet...I don't even have my front carpet installed. Too much leakage. Drain plugs pulled, too!

-Scott '97 TJ SE

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

H-S-F, Mine fell off of my 91 YJ 5 years ago. I've never noticed any heat problems. FWIW I only drive ~6k miles per year.

CTM

Reply to
testert555

H-S-F, Does it matter as long as the music never stops? ;)

My floorpan gets hot as hell even with a heat shield on the cat. If you smell something, check the carpet...I don't even have my front carpet installed. Too much leakage. Drain plugs pulled, too!

-Scott '97 TJ SE

Scott, You're just not right ;¬D

Reply to
Kate

These three words stand for a classic jam lineup from the Grateful Dead. Help On The Way-> Slipknot!-> Franklin's Tower.

I'm an etree shncirc manager for a few bands. I know a few things about jam bands.

It's all about the music, right?

Happy Jeeping!

BTW, with the lack of sunspots, the pundits are saying the earth will cool down. So can we get a nice big snowstorm this year so I can go four wheeling? Please? There is no place around here to put the Jeep in 4WL, except blizzards! We have concrete and fences only, and overzealous police...

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

"Scott in Baltimore" BTW, with the lack of sunspots, the pundits are saying the earth will cool down. So can we get a nice big snowstorm this year so I can go four wheeling? Please? There is no place around here to put the Jeep in 4WL, except blizzards! We have concrete and fences only, and overzealous police...

Well, c'mon down and go wheeling with our group! We're going to Superlift Oct 11. Pleanty of places to ride around here within 2-6 hour drive!

Man, it must REALLY suck not having a place to go.

Reply to
Kate

I had my shields rust off last year. The floor got hot but mot to bad. Then i had the great idea of pulling the carpet out and painting on that truck bed liner stuff. Worked great for mud and water . But on a hot day it was burning my feet. And boiling the fluid in the clutch line. so i bought some header wrap and went from the manafold to the cat. Floor does not get hot and clutch works great again o long trips.

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

I have seen folks use that header wrap on 4x4's that see mud and water and their exhaust pipes under the wrap rotted out 'really' fast. The stuff holds the moisture or causes condensation or something, but it sure eats pipes.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I had my shields rust off last year. The floor got hot but mot to bad.
Reply to
Mike Romain

That's why the manufacturers in their infinite wisdom use a sheet metal shield that rattles and makes noise instead. It doesn't hold water.

Reply to
Earle Horton

Well crap. But the floor is much more cool . The jeep has spent the summer in the garage .Have not had any time off to wheel . So maybe i'll make a shield over winter. Thanks for the info.

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers