Door Removal

Honda bike shop...

Mike

Casey wrote:

hard to see

Reply to
Mike Romain

L.W.(ßill)

I thought someone said they picked theirs up at a Harley shop...I like that idea!

really hard to see

Reply to
SB

Actually, you are wrong. Again. The windshield must be in place if you are driving on the street. You cited the rules for windshield wipers, not windshields.

Windshields: Exception

26700. (a) Except as provided in subdivision (b), a passenger vehicle, other than a motorcycle, and every bus, motortruck or truck tractor, and every firetruck, fire engine or other fire apparatus, whether publicly or privately owned, shall be equipped with an adequate windshield.

(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any vehicle issued identification plates pursuant to Section 5004 which was not required to be equipped with a windshield at the time it was first sold or registered under the laws of this state, another state, or foreign jurisdiction.

Basically, everything on the highway that is not a motorcycle must have a windshield unless there is some reason it was not required to have a windshield when it was first sold. This means that an antique car that might not have had a windshield when it was first made does not need to be retrofitted to have a windshield. There hasn't been a car made for several decades that does not have a windshield, with the exception of a golf cart or similar such vehicle.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Read it carefully Jeff.

It just says you must 'have' a windshield.

It also states that the way a stock one works is just fine, even if the stock one folds down.

Very much like signal lights on a Bike. If the bike didn't come with them, you don't have to add them, hand signals are legal.

It does 'not' state that you cannot use the windshield as it was designed to be used, folded, it certainly implies otherwise.

The law here in Ontario Canada is the same. You 'have' to have a windshield and a working wiper, that's it.

Mike

CRWLR wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

It has to be up. Personal experience prevails over speculation.

Reply to
CRWLR

I understand what you are saying. But the fact is that on the signals, if it hasn't got signals as a new vehicle today is required to have, it is not street legal - it is only street legal if it is an older machine that never had signals.

The windshield is not required on older cars that never had a windshield, but it is required on all newer cars. "Newer" is a relative term, in the case of a windshield, I have never seen a car made after the 40's that did not have a windshield. There could be a few, but they are most certainly the exception as opposed to the rule. Bikes were required to have turn signals for street use from sometime around 1980, give or take a few years.

I was driving with my brother and his windshield was folded down, we got stopped. Personally, I don't like my windshield folded down. I tried it but did not like it. I haven't got the thumbscrews either, so I have to use tools to get mine to fold down. Maybe the tools added the tie-breaker that made the experience not worth the effort.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

"Personally, I don't like my windshield folded down. I tried it but did not like it." Sure, and you didn't inhale... LOL

Reply to
Jo

You also neglected to mention all the extra protein you can get into your diet by smiling a lot....

Reply to
L0nD0t.$t0we11

LOL!

Reply to
Bob

I don't remember if it was the CHP or Sheriff. We didn't actually get the ticket, he told us to put the windshield up. We had been out in Anza Borrego, and pulled onto the highway for a few miles back to camp, and we stopped along the way when the cop showed up. Maybe a gas station, I don't recall the particulars. We were not technically stopped for having the windshield down, but were advised to not cintinue until the windshield was up again.

Reply to
CRWLR

Maybe that was the problem, I didn't get the full enjoyment ...

Yes, I inhaled WAY too much Way too often for WAY too long. I can't make the same claim as our illustrious exPrez. I can't imagine what that idiot was thinking when he said that. I almost blew a lungful out when I heard that!

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Brother's eyeballs ...

I was driving CRWLR, with the windshield up, he was driving his Jeep with the windshield down. I would have thunk the beer cans rolling around on the floor would have been a bigger problem than the windshield.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Here's a tip.. Get a roll of "rubber" electrical tape.. This is not the kind you can just buy at your local home depot or hardware stores.. They won't stock this stuff... You will have to go to an Electrical wholesaler (just look up electrical wholesalers or electrical supply in your yellow pages) to get this stuff.. It does NOT have any adhesive product on it, it litterly is just a roll of fairly strong very pliable rubber.. This type of tape is wrapped around split bolts for splicing larger conductor sizes..and then normal electrical tape is wrapped around that...

Wrap it around the nuts tightly and then just use any wrench to remove them.. It works wounders, and will leave the nuts in mint shape.. I've pulled my doors dozens of times and the nuts still look as good as they did the day I got the jeep from the dealer..

Reply to
Bill