Glass

Some bastard broke into my TJ (which was deliberately unlocked), but being too thick to realise this, broke the front passenger window. Autoglass tell me that the list price is 900 bucks.... With their "special discount" through being in the Automobile Association, it is only 663 bucks. If that isn't hilarious enough, I might phone up the stealership for a real laugh.

Dave Milne

That is a lot of money for a passanger window here in the states it is a $150.00 job or $75.00 if you do it your self.

Reply to
Coasty

Its an outragous rip off; I'm quite annoyed by it. Jeep prices here are unbelievable (which might be why Jeep sold less than 300 TJs here last year).

Dave Milne

The pricing you are getting probably has to do with your import taxes. They sold around 500,000 here.

Reply to
extremetj

Possibly. It must be a tax that Ford is exempt from though. Ford's parts are cheap, and they seem of better quality than the US Fords.

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

In the U.S. you pay twice as much for glass if you have insurance. Say, $250 for a new Honda Civic windshield installed in your driveway, but $500 if the insurance company pays for it. The insurance companies all know this, but they don't care.

How are shipping rates from Canada to the UK? It almost sounds as if you could get the glass from Gemini Sales

cheaperthan buying it locally. Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Major bummer, Dave.

Just for comparison, about 2 weeks ago, some fool broke the rear quarter (driver's side rear passenger door small window that doesn't roll down) on my XJ. Apparently hoping to steal something or another, but the alarm went off and scared them away. Kids, most likely.

Anyway, I got on the phone and got prices from about $200 to $100 installed. I took the $125 as the cheaper one was 50 miles away. Since I have a "bronze privacy tint" the match is not perfect, but close enough so that most people don't notice unless you point it out. They didn't break down the cost of labor/parts, but did a very nice job and got all the damned broken glass cleaned up, even under the rear seat.

While i was there, they called about an exact replacement (same tint) from the dealer. That would have put it up to $200, plus tax. My total, with tax was $133 and change, here in Los Angeles.

The worst part was that it happened at 2 AM and the alarm went off. It was very hot that night and I was laying in bed, cursing whoever had their alarm going off. From the bedroom of my apartment you can't tell where the sound is coming from. My building manager, who's windows overlook the parking lot, called me on the phone. So, out I go, remote in hand, and shut it off and have a look around. Never did get back to sleep. And of course, there isn't much to steal in there anyway. A box of cheap tools, a faceplateless Pioneer stereo is about it.

Regards,

DAve

Reply to
DaveW