[jeep2diesel] Deisel Jeep Conversions

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

This looks like you have had personal issues with one companys products and have extrapolated said experience to include every other diesel manufacturer in the world. this is an irrational act and no amount of rational argument will be able to counter it.

BTW, why did you want to cruise at 8mph over the speed limit? is there no longer law enforcement in texas, or are speed limits purely advisory?

you admit tinkering with the injector pump(to its maximum adjustment!), and I infer that you were running flat out (correct me if i'm wrong), and you ONLY got 38mpg!

Reply to
Mike

Whoops! Sorry Bill, replied to the wrong post there.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Maybe, maybe not. For the past two winter seasons here in chilly New England the per gallon price of diesel fuel has been higher than mid-grade gasoline, and occasionally higher than premium. The reason given is that home heating oil and diesel are closely related products and that higher demand in one causes higher prices in the other.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Some nuts out here in the Southwest are running "bio-diesel" which is some form of distilation of cow $#!t, corn oil and burger grease....PLEASE! Just buy your gas and shut the f&^% UP!

Reply to
Jerry McG

Bill, you usually make sense, but have obviously breathed too many gasoline fumes! Tow 5,000 - 6,000 extra pounds and still get the same mileage? Give us a break. FWIW, I have a 1997 GMC 3/4 ton pickup with a 6.5 turbo-diesel, I get around 18 mpg in the city, (when I tow the YJ, it drops a couple of MPG) if I had a gasser, it'd probably be closer to 11 mpg, AND the diesel fuel is 40 - 50 cents per gallon cheaper than regular gas. Oh yeah, I've got around 145,000 miles, just getting broken in good Tookie - Denham Springs, LA

88YJ, 4" lift, 33" TSLs, Lock-Rights PosiLock, 4.10s
Reply to
Tookie

I don't think any car manufactured over 10 years ago would pass either, if they went thru the same test today. Most of the US diesels pollution problems are related to poor fuel quality - what we have available would be considered trash in Europe, where diesels run clean and, for the most part, quiet. Tookie - Denham Springs, LA

88YJ, 4" lift, 33" TSLs, Lock-Rights PosiLock, 4.10s
Reply to
Tookie

Another fable. Old rat diesels are slow-lane choking the roads of Europe, belching the same black spew we see over here. EU countries just have a lower sulphur content in all their fuels, which reduces the stink a bit.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I had a 70 Chev 350 1/2 ton and got the same mileage empty or full or towing a Valiant for 2000 miles at 55 mph.

That thing basically just burned $10.00 per hour gas, period.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It's not done yet and I am not the owner, but you guys should check with the girl that is building this:

has a ton of information and this is her second conversion. BTW - None of the engines I saw listed on your site are what she used.

--James

Reply to
RocknTJ

this is great Thanks

Reply to
Jazzman

Here is her quote from our local board:

"This is our second repower using this engine. The first was a 1980 IH Scout II, which came with a pathetic Nissan 3.3L TD.

The motor for the Willys came out of a Frito-Lay truck. I got it from Avant Salvage (Diesel Depot) in Georgia. Mine is 1990 4BTA, 105hp 265ft-lb torque @ 1700rpm. It can be boosted to 120hp and 300ft-lbs @ 1700rpm by just turning up the fuel pump. They say they can be purchased from Frito-Lay Fleet Maintenance, but I didn't look into that. This engine is still in production.

The engine weighs close to 900# when fully accessorized. The Dodge Cummins

6BTA is close to 1200#.

A 4BTA is the same engine as the 6BTAs used in the Dodge trucks except that

2 cylinders are cut off. Any transmission that will bolt to a 6BTA will bolt to a 4BTA. Practically any Dodge or GMC/Chevy truck transmission can be used. That includes Turbo 400, 700r4 (see note), 518, 46RH/E, R80LE (?), NV4500, Dodge Getrag 5-speed. There are several commercial truck transmissions that will also work.

Note: Though they say that the 700R4 can take the torque, they don't last -- even behind the GMC 6.2s and 6.5s.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to install one of these, but you do have to take into consideration the torque and weight. We found with the Scout project that the 4BT will eat D44 axles and u-joints so the Willys got upgraded to a 3/4-ton chassis. No sissy stuff."

HTH

--James

Reply to
RocknTJ