[jeep2diesel] Deisel Jeep Conversions

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)
.

Wow! where can I buy gas for $3/gal? I might just buy a tanker full.

Big hint: its about $6.50/gal at my local station. Lets see how loud the anti-diesel lobby are when they have to pay that!:-)

Mike

Reply to
Mike

How much of that is for the gas and how much is for the taxes? Do you think they won't charge taxes on the diesel fuel?

Reply to
Matt Osborn

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

yep, you're absolutely spot on. now let me see. my 4L cherokee auto does @18mpg.

my wifes turbo diesel vectra does @ 46mpg.

just a mo while I figure out if any money is being saved here.....

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Now why would I want todo a silly thing like that and get rid of the diesels main advantage over a gasoline engine, i.e. fuel efficiency?

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

"British Columbia hosted the first four days of the tour, with stops in 10 cities, including: Vancouver, Kelowna, Chilliwack, Vernon and Kamloops. Local media and supporters came out to meet with the CTF roadside campaign. Most were surprised and outraged to learn that on average 42% of the price of a litre of gas is tax."

Matt Osborn

Diesel fuel tends to keep more junk in suspension than gas, but either way, both go through filters before being injected, and both would clog their injectors if they weren't filtered. So... did you have a point, or just loose your concentration?

The most wear on a Diesel is in the starting phase. (same for gas) Those trucks running overnight are doing it because its cheaper to just let the engine run than to bother turning it off and running it through a start phase from cold. Go ahead and laugh, because you'd be laughing at yourself. The fact is that a Diesel is much closer to the perfect motor than a gasoline. The perfect motor would be an Adiabatic, where no heat is gained or lost by the system. A diesel at idle requires the same air/fuel ratio as at power, and maintains a stasis requiring no adjustment of fuel/air to run smoothly. A gasoline engine is unstable at idle, and requires an increase of fuel to air, making it very inefficient at idle, and difficult to maintain smoothly w/o constant adjustment. So... those trucks idling away are barely sipping their fuel. That's why they get left running.

-bob-

Reply to
F. Robert Falbo

Actually, I feel that GM single-handedly gave the Diesel engine a bad name by their stupid tactic of trying to convert a gas engine to diesel use.

By General Motors cost cutting.

Diesels are much more favored in the rest of the world. And, I might add... Diesels are MUCH SAFER than gasoline vehicles. (I could proove that point by asking you to take your pick of which fuel you'd rather douse yourself in while someone threw lit matches at you... assuming you had to choose.) :P

-bob-

Reply to
F. Robert Falbo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

...for you too blow over the fact that heavier weight fluids need larger filters to still achive flow makes me think you may have never changed yer own oil If you have a point...please get to it, because frankly your frothing rant over diesels is nothing short of idiotic wioh your simnpleton logic and straw grasping...Do a search for a late model diesel golfs for sale used....you won't find many...they a great running cars that get incredible mileage. People aren't selling them. Hell if you find one cheap in the NC area let me know, my boss has been looking for a while. Right now he is driving....yup a diesel mercedes. Clean running powerful smooth riding sedan. Keep telling your self that they ain't worth a shit when you know damn well any decent running modern diesel could pull your rig in half without even barely coming off idle. =-)

....Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Do I remember it? How could I forget that obscene pile of rattling crap!

As a VW field service rep in the early '80's I was forced to drive those %$#!ing things as company cars for an entire Texas summer because we couldn't give 'em away. I'd put 1k miles on 'em, then blackmail an unlucky dealer into buying it or I wouldn't approve their goodwill & warranty claims. Then on to the next one. At one point we had a 300 days supply of them sitting at the ports, totally sales-proof.

Most of 'em had no A/C, which was fortunate because they were so slow they were a road hazard. I finally started twisting the mixture screw on the injection pump as far in as I could, whereby I might be able to get the thing to cruise at 63 mph (speed limit was 55 back then.) The biggest joke was the "fuel economy". The damn tings got about 38 MPG on the highway, a gasoline 5 speed Rabbit got around 35. Diesels, what a joke!

Reply to
Jerry McG

This is the biggest joke where diesels are concerned. Diesel is basically one step beyond kerosene, one of the first byproducts of the refining process. It costs a fraction of what gasoline does to refine, and nothing more to transport, etc. The oil companies saw a ripe opportunity to stuff it up the keesters of consumers and long haul truckers and went for it. Boy, some savings, huh?

Reply to
Jerry McG

Yeah, they're adequate for 4 wheeling, but most folks I know need to drive on the highway to some extent to get to where they will 4 wheel. 4 cylinders and diesels suck to drive "on road".

No selective memory here. Most folks are sorry they bought a 4 cyl, and they constantly come here to look for improvements.

I think not. They've always sucked, and I've always said so.

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)