MPI 4.2L Oil Sensor Question

I'm just finishing my MPI install on my project. Can anyone tell me what to do with the oil pressure sensor? I have a small brass manifold sticking out of the block. I know one hole is for the oil gauge and the other is for a sensor. Does the MPI ECM not need to know the oil pressure?

Reply to
Jeepers

Nope..

Reply to
Richard Harris

So I plug the hole and toss the sensor?

Reply to
Jeepers

Reply to
Richard Harris

Thanks! I'll do that.

Reply to
Jeepers

All of the fittings are defined inthe instruction booklet.

When I installed the MPFI on my Jeep, I didn't go near the oil pressure sender. You are correct, the ECM doesn't need to know oil pressure.

Reply to
CRWLR

I am not sure I would advixe you to toss the sensor, YOU need to know what the oil pressure is doing, just the ECM doesn't need to know.

Reply to
CRWLR

It's a frame off, ALL the sensors were pulled. There are presently ONLY the wires in the loom from the MPI on the engine, there are NO others installed yet. I had just assumed that the new ECM would want the oil info just as the old one had. Painless is gonna send me the new looms and wires.

As for the oil pressure, there were two in one boss, one was for the old ECM the other is for the gauge. Apparently I lose one, since the ECM isn't interested in it.

Reply to
Jeepers

I don't know what engine this is out of, but the failed Ford excuse for an emissions computer on the Jeep 4.2 does not use any oil pressure sensors.

Stock you have one for the gauge on the dash only.

The oil switch below the pressure sensor is used for the choke and manifold intake heater coil. It is switched on with oil pressure only.

Mike

Jeepers wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Oh. I had just assumed that since there was another sensor it was for the computer. I was wrong.

So, I still don't need it then?

Reply to
Jeepers

Mike according to my manual, the extra wire was for a low oil pressure shut down ckt. Not sure how or if it worked though

Reply to
Richard Harris

Does the MPI use it for a safety shut down?

If so, then the OP sure needs it.

Mike

Richard Harris wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

No my Mopar kit doesn't use the Op shutdown ckt.

Reply to
Richard Harris

Toss that manual. There is no low oil pressure shut down circuit.

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III