Opinions on this product.

I am trying to decide what to do for a lift...Does anyone have an opinion on this product? Also any ideas on hassle shipping something this big cross border?

I was looking at just getting a spring shop to do it here in Calgary, but the price they originally quoted has almost doubled...

Also, are there any online Canadian companies that are competitive with quadratec?

Thanks

Jason

Reply to
jasonp

I don't know anything about the product...

To ship a kit that heavy you will be looking around $150 US for shipping through UPS. They will charge you brokerage and taxes at the door in Canadian funds... probably around $200. You will likely receive the kit in 4 days from the time it is shipped.

When I bought my lift I checked the Canadian online retailers (Just Jeeps, National 4wd etc...) and they could not come close to matching prices (based on a 4.5" RE lift).

You might be able to piece together a custom kit from different sources that appear to be cheaper but shipping multiple items will drive the cost way up. Spend the time to research the kit you want and go for it.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Jason:

After exchange, shipping, taxes, duties, and brokerage, I'm guessing that US$453 kit will set you back about CA$950.

UPS really sucks for transborder shipments because they charge a hefty 'customs brokerage fee' on top of the usual duties and taxes. FedEx or DHL do not engage in that sort of extortion - use them wherever possible for shipments from US to Canada.

When I was shopping around for my RE suspension I too found some great prices from drop-ship webfronts in the states, but when I did the math the price at

(they have a Calgary outlet) was actually fairly close. Armed with my best US price and a shipping/duty estimate, I called national4wd and asked them to do better. They knocked $100 off my kit and upgraded a few components at no charge. That did it for me. Much better to have my money going to a Canadian retailer than to the brownshirt cross-border piracy racket. I know of several YJs that are very happy with BDS suspensions:

You can get BDS and others (Rancho, Syjacker, OME) from these guys in Nova Scotia:

Call their tech line number and talk to Andre. He'll explain your options and even if you don't buy from him he'll give you lots of great advice with no BS.

Steve

Cherokee-LTD wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Ya, brokerage will be the killer...

I just dont understand why the Canadian retailers can't compete. The only thing that makes it a tough choice is shipping & brokerage.

Jason

> : REQC=3&UREQD=4&FNM=00&UID=2004051013441843> > :

Reply to
jasonp

Brokerage for my lift was $36.00 through UPS... not bad for 5 boxes weighing over 200 lbs combined. The shipment value was $866 US. I can live with that. On the other hand, I was mighty pissed paying $24 brokerage for a car stereo a couple years back.

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

I looked into it a little more and now realize brokerage is more of a flat rate than percentage, $200 seems nuts for brokerage. I can handle $40 brokerage on a large order.

Reply to
jasonp