what exactly happened here?

spam on usenet is not a new problem, may be new to this group - but al

the unmoderated groups get it at some level. Need I mention th alt.binaries with all the piracy going on there - I haven't heard muc effort from the film & music industry trying to stop that - they onl go after the p2p software. It's virtually impossible to stop someon from posting something on usenet. Sure you could create some deterent

- but where there's a will - there's a way

Earle Hort> This is true, but Google Groups requires one to provide an identity, o > a

Reply to
admin

There is a difference between "posting something on usenet" and posting a continuous stream of abuse, that has little social, artistic, political or humorous value. That is not spam. Another difference, is that spammers and scam artists always leave a contact address. You have the option to not buy their products, warn others not to buy them, because they use spam in their advertising, or report them to the Spanish police, who have, by the way, been doing a brisk business in rounding up Nigerian scam artists.

The remailers that we have been talking about, started out with the premise, that people should be able to publish information, without having to worry about the secret police knocking on their door, or their boss finding out about their sexual preferences. In this case, they are being used for something completely different. The owner of one service, dizum.com, claims that he will take steps to prevent or stop abuse, but it appears that he does not mean this.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

If Bill really wants to get ambitious, he should start a UDP on the remailers that allow folks to only get an account so they can abuse the system. If they don't want to clean up their act, block their domain like was threatened to the @home network a few years back.

That usually wakes them up or closes them down....

Mike

Earle Hort>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Popular Austinite actual bumpersticker "Keep Austin Weird" Austin, otherwise known as the "Third Coast" Liberal Texas

yuk

Reply to
Jeepers

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Well that was easy to prove you wrong:

Now lets see your service record. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com "Joeseph P. Blow" wrote:>

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Yep, Austin is definitely the most liberal place in Texas, but it's still probably more conservative than *any* place in Kalifornia...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Reply to
Grumman-581

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Yep, sometimes it just doesn't pay to get out of bed in the morning...

ROTFLMAO...

Reply to
Grumman-581

"Kate" wrote in news:KeL2g.4505$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews1.bellsouth.net:

From the looks of reading into this thread some more, it appears my assesment of the *poking* was instigated by this "Bill" individual? I'm all for some well deserved prods but this is causing havoc across many, many newsgroups. Once you tease a bear, or hoard of bears, don't expect it/them to stop at your newsgroup door.

Off for some more "ahem" reading....

Reply to
SneakyP

I would have to disagree. I think that the majority of the counties in CA are not all that liberal. Note that I did not say the majority of the population in CA, just the majority of the counties. I think that Los Angeles county, the San Francisco Bay Area counties, and Sacramento county pretty much dominate the rest of the state into submission with their burgeoning populations which are very liberal and very well organized.

People in the north counties openly want to split off into another state (Jefferson). They have been pushing for this since before WW2.

The not-so-liberal areas also have some of the better places open for jeeping. It seems to me that the really liberal areas don't like off- road driving and if they have any areas that would be suitable for jeeping, they close them off or severly limit access. For example, in the arguably liberal San Francisco Bay Area is Coe Park, which only allows 4x4s in once a year, while the relatively more conservative Ukiah area has the huge Cow Mountain OHV recreation area next to it which is only closed when it's too muddy and for controled burns.

A interesting series of maps is here:

you look at the area for Austin, TX, and the blue areas to the south,they are a lot bluer than most of the counties in CA.Keep in mind that this is only mapping the 2004 election and is not aperfect indicator of conservative vs. liberal, but you can get a general feeling of who lives where. A better example of a few counties pushingthe others around is Oregon: Portland alone pretty much sent the state to Kerry.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:19:31 -0400 in , "Josh Piela" graced the world with this thought:

Actually, I'd say he's pissed off the person... matter of fact, I can't think of anyone that probably needed a foot up his ass more than this moron, whatever it was that he did. Keep in mind, eventually the newsgroup will return to normal, but this idiot will have spent how many hours of his life doing this brainless shit, that he'll never get back. Ever. And, as a consolation, keep in mind, this guy has no friends, probably has never been laid, and can't hold down a job. You are there at the apex of his life. Suicide may be the only way out for him. We can only pray that he finds peace at the end of a gun real soon, because he's only a boil on the ass of society, make no mistake.

Reply to
bizbee

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 07:43:31 -0700 in , "L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" graced the world with this thought:

If you're turning someone in to an anonymous remailer, you're pissing in the wind.

Reply to
bizbee

Wow. What a victory.

But you have taken care of yourself -- in a psychotic kind of way. No thought of anyone else, just Bill.

"Bill Kill" would be the shortest film ever made.

Reply to
Pink Freud

And that will affect me how, Power Puff?

And you should be cautious; if you block all these people there won't be anyone left who'll talk with you......

Reply to
Pink Freud

It's just a step, on the way to closing 24.86.24.251.

that the way they do top 40 countdowns on his planet........>:-{)

Reply to
robs440