Where to put my spare??

After finally cleaning my tires today I noticed a small chunk of rubber is missing from one of my tire's sidewalls (Rear driver side). I've been wheeling them pretty hard for the past year or so, so I guess I can't complain it took this long... it is down to the threads, so I guess I need to take it off the ground and make it my spare.

Here's my dilemma. My 4 tires have 40-50% tread left. My spare has at least

95% tread left (hardly used). So.... where do I put the spare? I've gotten a vote for front passenger already... any other suggestions? Any experience from this? I would assume putting up front would give me alignment/death wobble/bumpsteer issues.

Thoughts? Votes? ANYONE? Yes, I should've done a five-tire rotation pattern... but since I didn't... what now?

Eric

99 TJ SE 33x12.5R15 BFG MTs
Reply to
Eric

I'd put it on the driver's rear. Why? So you can look back and see it.. the full tread looks cooler than the worn tread.

Carl

Reply to
Carl
*laugh*

Thanks, Carl. Appreciate the 'expert' feedback... :-)

Eric

Reply to
Eric

I'd keep it off the front to avoid any kind of alignment issue at high speed. Take your pick on which side on the rear you want it on. Do you find yourself loosing traction with either side more?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Nope. Had someone on another forum (who claims to be in the tire business) say to put it on the RR.. guess I'll go with that unless the shop says something else. Stills supports my theory of keeping it off the front..

Reply to
Eric

"Eric" wrote in message news:ASgBf.31090$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com...

I'm sure you will get many replies, all different. Let me preface by saying I'm 67 years old and have driven across the country more than sixty times, in an XK-140, and an E-Type Jaguar, Pontiac 455 Bonneville, and others I don't remember, but also a dozen times, from Dallas to Sacramento, in a Jeep Grand Cherokee, to check out properties up in the mountains. My Jeep (my wife has a twin) came with Goodyear tires that lasted 20K miles. I tipped the Jeep service guy, in Dallas, and he told me to replace the Goodyear's with Michelin, and he even knew what the number was, and just leave the spare in the trunk. So I replaced them with Michelins that lasted 90K miles. My Jeep now has about 115K miles, on the second pair of Michelins. The original Goodyear spare is still in the trunk. I check it each year, and, since I have an on-board air compressor, bring it up to whatever the PSI rating is. I would never, never, never (did I say never?) take that tire out unless there was a catastrophic failure. I always replace the four "working" tires with exact same spec tires. That means (to me) not introduce a 20K Goodyear tire into three other Michelin Tires, unless it is a real emergency. And then I would get that Goodyear back into the trunk as soon as I could get a Michelin replacement. In short, I never would introduce the spare into rotation, just replace all four tires, with good tires. But hey, that's just me. I remember the "gators" from the Ford Firestone years of 1990-1992??? littering the highways, from Dallas to California (where it turned hot) and talking to the truckers on the CB, and seeing a Ford SUVs tires explode, and it careened into the ditch between Barstow and San Bernardino, and fortunate not to turn over.

I realized early on that the only thing between me and the surface of the earth was the tires. So a confession, here. I was a twenty-year-old lieutenant with more money than brains, and bought a used XK-140 Jaguar which came with Dunlop racing tires, which I scrubbed at Laguna Seca, and that took all my money, and I had orders back east so I went to Sears and got a set of "Super Safety" tires. In the New Mexico desert there was a bang, and I remembered to let off the gas, do not touch the brake, and one of the tires passed me. I took out the Dunlop spare, hobbled into Albuquerque, and they gave me a free replacement with the words, "you know that this is a truck tire, right?"

Oh.

I have been very careful about my tires ever since.

Reply to
Billzz

put it on the right rear and do a couple nasty burnouts... you'll get the tread to even on out with the other tires

Reply to
J. Sprauer

Sounds rather uncomfortable.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo
*BFG*

Carl

Reply to
Carl

unless of course you run a detroit in the rear and in that case you put it on the right front instead.

Reply to
jbjeep

can't

experience

alignment/death

To be safe I would buy another tire and put 2 good tires on the front. you say the tires on the vehicle are 50% worn,if the spare is an inch or so taller putting it on the rear could cause undo stress on the gears in the rear diff,putting it on the front may cause a pull like it is out of alignment. best bet,buy another tire,better safe than sorry.

Reply to
TNKEV