2.25 Block problems

I've a couple of probles with my 2.25 engine which has been stood & neglectedfor a long long time. First, when I remove the drain plug unde the exhaust manifold nothing come out. I've poked a piece of wire in and all i get is a black gooey substance - and not much of it. Is it possible for the block to crud up so much internally that this drain hole is blocked off? Second, I got it running and as the temperature came up a core plug at near to the bulk head has started to leak. Any ideas? I was going to dry it all up & rough it up & then try some plasticMetal type goo.

Engine compression is good - can't remember the figures but all within spec. So I think the engine is pretty good apart from the state of the cooling system- I don't want ot remove the engine at this point in time until I've had it running on the road to get a feel for how good it is. And the gearbox too for that matter.

Any suggestions on the drain plug & the core plug?

Steve

Reply to
steve d

What are you expecting to come out not knowing what youve undone? Has it any oil in? Is it a water gallery? If so has it any water in?

As for the core plug. Change it. Any filler you put in is unlikely to expand at the same rate as the metal. The plugs are cheap as chips. I suspect the most difficult bit is going to be getting to it. But certainly on the 2.6 Dad changed a core plug by removing the tinware inside and doing the job then replaced the plug and refitted the tinware. Murphys law will say your's is in a more inaccessable location. If so whip out the engine, do them all and bung it back goiving due consideration to the clutch.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Put in some radiator flush, follow all the instructions as per the bottle.

Take the core plugs out, all except the one at the back of the block (you can't remove/replace it without removing the engine or the bulkhead. If this one's gone, then you'll have to remove something, I suggest the engine, it's easier), remove the drain plugs and flush the block, backwards/forwards etc etc with a pressure washer. Get all the crud out you can.

Fit new core plugs, reassemble, (you might want to consider a new radiator if you can't get a decent flow rate through it) and you should be good as new.

Don't bother trying to patch/bodge/weld/compund core plugs, it doesn't work.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

It certainly is - particularly when no antifreeze has been used. The block drain plug get removed very rarely -but it shounds like you block could do with a good flush.

It's easiest just to replace the plug - only a few pence, and if it's the one I think you mean it's not too bad to get at. Stick a chisel or screwdriver through the old one and prise it out. Clean the hole thoroughly (avoiding bits going into the engine) and tap the new one in (a bit of LockTight wouldn't hurt).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd