90 Safari rear door

Hi, what is the difference between a regular rear door for a LR 90/110, and a Safari door?

Angus

Reply to
Angus McDangle

Twas Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:42:22 +0100 when "Angus McDangle" put finger to keyboard producing:

I think the rear door is aka safari. but there are differences between the newer (td5) rear doors and earlier defender & ninety/one ten rear doors but I thin kthey are interchangeable. the S3 rear doors can (I think) be fitted to a later land rover ninety/one ten/defender with changes to the lock location.

umm, probably.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:48:00 +0100, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

I had an S3 door on the 110. you only get 2 hinges, unless you faff around fitting the third one to the S3 door.

You do also have to change the lock, although the only mod I recall it needing is to make a hole in the door skin to line up with the lock barrel.

If you want HRW or rear wiper etc you have to transfer the glass or the wiper motor - the latter requires more hole-making but isn't hard to do.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The question that intrigues me, is whether you could fit a defender drivers door to a series 3, as one of these days I might fancy the sybaritic luxury of a wind down window.

I know series three side doors went through a number of changes including anti burst locks, which are a lot better than the originals, and these are easy to retro fit.

Reply to
Larry

Our Series III had three hinges, I think it was because it was a station wagon. I think the hard tops only had two hinges? Richard

Reply to
Richard

A rear wiper?

Reply to
Richard

That would not be a standard fitting though, probably an extra one added to stop the door sagging as they do.

Mine is a station wagon with only two. (so far)

Reply to
Larry

You can fit Defender doors to a series. The easiest type to fit are the early Defender doors with wind up windows and clinch hanldes as you can use Series 3 door locks with them. Having said that the Defender latching mechanism is better than the Series 3 mechanism so it's worth fitting the Defender style striker anyway.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

There are two types of S3 locks - the old "bolt" type and the newer anti-burst ones. In my view the latter are preferable, although horribly expensive, and I also think they are better than the early wind up window

90/110 locks, which are also very expensive. The later 90/110 doors will fit the S3, and are better engineered than the early ones - but be warned, they are a lot thicker, and you lose elbow room. There is a reason the later 90/110 have a smaller steering wheel and have the outboard seats offset further in. JD
Reply to
JD

On or around Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:06:00 +0100, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

the 3 doors, roughly, are a) like the S3, b) lift-up handles but wind-down windows and c) pushbutton handles

b) would suit a S3 best as the handles are the same, but connected to anti-burst locks. fitted to 90/110 from about 1985 to 1986, or thereabouts. I imagine the door profile and hinges are the same, if not, a quick go with a tape measure would answer that.

besides, the pushbutton handles offer no notable advantages over the lift-up ones, except perhaps marginally better security. and if it rains and then freezes, the buggers freeze up.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Twas Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:36:48 +0100 when "Larry" put finger to keyboard producing:

with early defenders anyway you have the third hinge when the spare wheel carrier is citted to the rear door.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:00:35 +1000 when JD put finger to keyboard producing:

my previous 110 (also 1984) had winding windows and lift-up handles, I don't recall the thickness of the door being a problem re elbow room, but my elbow was usually out of the window anyway.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I think safari doors are painted in a black and white zebra fashion and stop the likes of Virginia Mackenna (sp?) from falling out the back of the Land Rover ;-)

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

So AN6530 was, like

If I remember Virginia Mackenna from her Born Free days, I would go to some lengths to stop her falling out of the rear door.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Provision for the internal "grab handle" thingie.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Took a look at mine today, two hinges ??? no way it seems the hinge pin has dissapeared entirely from the lower hinge, in the last month and the nut for the pin on the top one has sheared off too.

Has someone been fiddling to get the door off the hard way, or did they just die a natural death ?

No matter I have some new hinge pins I have been meaning to fit for some time sitting on my desk in front of me as I type.

Reply to
Larry

Took a closer look at a defender today and though to myself, no that external handle looks as naff as any other kind that Land Rover ever fitted, though I would still like the luxury of a window that rolls all the way down. Do they by the way, or do they stop half way not really improving on the situation with the slide windows ?

Reply to
Larry

On or around Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:38:39 +0100, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

front ones go all the way down. You can keep the series look and feel by going for the lift-up handle kind :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 14 Oct 2004 18:36:33 +0100, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

and new bronze olives as well?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yep the whole kit and caboodle. was going to fit them on the fine and sunny day that I bought them then the weather turned nasty and I left them.

Reply to
Larry