300tdi Crankshaft damper.....

Ok, Just off to a BBQ after spending the last hour trying to get the Crankshaft pulley off (changing the timing belt). No, I don't have a puller (the last one I did on a 200tdi just needed a gentle tap and off it came).

Can someone let me know how I can get it off without damaging anything else... I've tried gentle tapping, a small amount a rocking but the bugger won't move.

Any ideas anyone...?

Or if your local to Stevenage ..and have a puller...... :-)

cheers Gavin

Reply to
GS

Place a large tyre lever behind it, as if you're going to lever it off the shaft, pull hard and belt the centre of the pulley with a 4lb club hammer.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

In message , GS writes

You may need an assistant ! Lever from above and below at the same time whilst also belting it with a hammer. You can only really get a decent swing at it from below.

MIND THE RADIATOR with levers and hammers.

Getting the right puller on it can be a sod, especially if yo have aircon.

Good luck

Reply to
Marc Draper

Thanks for the ideas and a combination of then all plus the help of my neighbour got it off in one piece undamaged, New timing belt now on and just in time by the look of it. 85,000 on the teeth were starting to show through the belt and the tensionors oil seal had broke off leaving the bearing rumbling like a old bear. Timing was out as well - it's had a new pump at some time, and once it was lined up again it's now noticable quieter and runs better.

cheers G

Reply to
spoons1969