Been tinkering....101 Wheel carrier.

Building a front wheel carrier for the 101, I'm in the early stages, I've a little more to do but the principle is to carry the wheel up front. I need the rear doors to open fully still and don't fancy punching holes in them. I'm trying to retain the vehicle externally in it's origional condition so the wheel carrier has to be removable.

I've also made it such that eventually once I locate some 3/4 inch linch pin affairs to fix it the whole unit will be quick release incase I actually need to use the front recovery points.

Those I've spoken to so far who have driven vehicles with front mounted wheels report no problems with cooling, I've thought this over and given the low pressure generated by the wheel in the radiator duct it should infact help draw up air between the large gap in the chassis rails into the same duct.

As ever I've took a few piccys, I've yet to tidy up the item and finish the structural frame. Once it's all together all excess metal will meet the plasma cutter wo allow further air to circulate.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

You really are going to have to slow down with this work on morph!, ive been spending every eveneing on mine and everytime i see how far you have got it makes me think about how much work i actualy have left to do :( Does the plasma cutter cut angle up?, or is it easier to to it with a grinder? (I want lots of curved bits cutting)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Plasma cutter every time - if you can draw the shape you want you can cut it with the plasma cutter.

Reply to
EMB

Yup tried it on 10mm last night and it does what it says on the tim. Little slower progress of course but amazing!

Morphs at that "comming together" stage where all the time consuming jobs seem to be actually turning a corner. Actually being able to go out in him with everyone safely strapped in was a big point for me. I've just done bits and bobs since then trying to remain mobile all the time.

May have a 101 Pub meet lined up at Hartington (South Derbyshire) to pick up a couple of items from Chri so get your exhaust fixed :o)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Hmm, all you need is a red wheel cover - instant red nose for the vehicle on RND!

Reply to
Chris Naylor

I feel a bit like that when you pull up in the Landy and I look at Percy :o)

Once you've measured up bring it around and I'll do the necessary.

What are you building with curves? Don''t you know everything is supposed to be square? ;o)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D